Let's see some mounted groups

wolfman

ItemCo16527
On 5/9/2013 at 6:35 PM, Brig said:

Some mounted groups from my collection...half are identified

101_2366.JPG

Nice collection Brig! If you ever get tired of the NCM/NAM group at the bottom left, just let me know lol

Edit: Oops I just realized this is an ancient post. I need to pay more attention to which page I'm on lol

• 2 months later...

Hello Gunnertwo,

What an awesome grouping, do you have the name of the recipient? And the number on the back of the Korean Ulchi?

Kind regards

Sampo

aerialbridge

Sampo, can you post a close up of  both sides of the Jepsen China Service medal, definitely not a Mint or typical contract piece, with the raised rim and being flat, not curved.   Interesting group and nice photo you have of him wearing it. 

aerialbridge

Hi Sampo, very interesting China Service.  I think I've seen that before in the Navy version.  Maybe theater made?

10 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Hi Sampo, very interesting China Service.  I think I've seen that before in the Navy version.  Maybe theater made?

Hi Aerialbridge,

Actually, I did not even see this until you pointed this one out to me! Looks like it was theater made, but I have never seen one like this before. But there are Navy versions of this medal too? That would make two different medals, made by the same manufacturer, is this very common?

Take care

Sampo

Wharfmaster

Here is a Navy example of a thick, I assume theater Made China Service in a mounted named group. Gunners Mate that served aboard

USS Sacramento, 1934-1939

W

IMG_2094 (1652x2198) (498x630).jpg

aerialbridge

Sampo, there you go, thanks to Wharf.  I knew I'd seen a Navy version.  Not sure how uncommon it is, but they are certainly rarer than even a US Mint ring suspension piece and IMO way neat, like any theater made piece.  That's assuming they are theater made, based on their "salty" quality that probably wouldn't be "good enough for government work" (as in a contract piece).  Are they discussed in the "Call of Duty" or any other reference books?  I wonder what the story is of why a sailor or marine wouldn't have mounted the first contract circa 1940 ring suspension medal they presumably were issued?  Wharf, if not inconvenient, please post a shot of the reverse sometime.   These USN and USMC (presumptive) theater made China Service Medals warrant their own post in the Medals section, IMO. Best regards,  AB

On 6/30/2021 at 4:09 AM, sampo said:

Hello Gunnertwo,

What an awesome grouping, do you have the name of the recipient? And the number on the back of the Korean Ulchi?

Kind regards

Sampo

Here's the rear of the Korean award.

IMG_1993US.jpg

Javelin4life

Swing mounted Spink & Son manufactured miniature bar attributed to Lt Gen Sir Alexander Hood MD, KCVO CBE FRCP FRCSE, RAMC, Director General of Army Medical Services from 1941-48 and Governor of Bermuda from 1949-55.  His LoM Commander was awarded for services rendered between 1942-45, being the essential reason why US troops had access to medical supplies, staff, and facilities, as well as the aforementioned playing a role in establishing the US Army Medical Service. 

His story is quite detailed and I will make a separate post dedicated to this bar. 

2E7D3994-9A31-44B4-8A91-C42C61980A47.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2021 at 6:39 AM, gunnertwo said:

Here's the rear of the Korean award.

IMG_1993US.jpg

I have found the recipient, but it needs the finishing touch. It should be J. Greg(Craig) USN CDR USN S/N 076758 He was a ROK advisor to the Navy and left Korea in 1953.

Does anyone can check his service records/name?

Sampo

• 4 months later...

This my latest one and it just arrived today. A Korean War Navy Air Medal group including the China Service Medal. Unfortunately, it isn't named.

Air Medal (1).JPG

Air Medal (2).JPG

Air Medal (3).JPG

Court mounted miniature medal bar to Admiral of the Fleet and First Sea Lord Frederick Laurence Field, Royal Navy, who took part in the siege of Tientsin City and commanded the King George V during the battle of Jutland.  He was subsequently awarded the US Navy DSM for his participation and aid rendered to Americans during WWI. 

B23A706B-33EE-4EFB-B3A1-A2298AE80220.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I don't know how, but I completely forgot to post this one. I actually got it a couple of months before the Air Medal group I posted recently. When I saw the medal bar also came with the ribbon-only awards, I had to snap it up. I really love collecting the more modest medal bars like this. They don't seem to get enough love.

Marine2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

Here are a couple more that I forgot to post. The USMCR pair is pretty beat up, but I couldn't pass it up when the price was only $3!

USMCR.JPG

NAM-GCM.JPG

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

My latest mounted USMC group. This one is unusual in that it also has the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, but doesn't have the RVN Campaign Medal. I guess he didn't stay in Vietnam long enough to meet the 6 month requirement for that medal. Still, it's a very interesting medal group to a two service veteran :)

USMC-USAF (1).JPG

USMC-USAF (2).JPG

ItemCo16527

This just arrived today. A Marine NCO who earned the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat "V" device in Operation Desert Storm. He was also awarded five Good Conduct Medals and the Southwest Asia Service Medal with two battle stars. Couldn't be happier with this purchase. It's rare when I see a Desert Storm group with a valor or merit award in it.

NCMv (1).JPG

NCMv (2).JPG