Let's see some mounted groups

wolfman

I love seeing mounted groups and would love to see some from members collections. My camera is down but when its up I will add some from my collection.

Until then here are my two favorite mounted medal groups of all time they are NOT in my possesion but they are really cool an they both have US awards so they should be okay for this forum mods if they are not then please remove them.

post-107343-0-35402400-1365974493.jpg

post-107343-0-77787400-1365974612.jpg

What is the circumstance where someone had that many British medals as well as ones that are only awarded to US personnel?

firefighter

I'm guess just like U.S. officers have quite a few British, or other nation, medals.The soldier, Airman, or Sailor was assigned to a U.S. unit.I Have some unit histories were U.S. awards are being awarded to British or South African soldiers or Airmen.Foreigners can be awarded a DSC but NOT a MOH.

firefighter

BTW.That last group is jaw dropping amazing.I'm sure that soldier has some stories. :o Do you know who that group belongs to?

BTW.That last group is jaw dropping amazing.I'm sure that soldier has some stories. :o Do you know who that group belongs to?

Found this:

"Keith Payne joined the army in August 1951 and was posted to the 1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment in September the following year, serving with his unit in Korea between April 1952 and March 1953. He was promoted to corporal and joined the 3rd Battalion in February 1960. He served in Malaya with this unit and in 1965, now a sergeant, he joined the 5th Battalion. His next posting was as a WO2 to the Field Training Wing of the Officer Training Unit at Scheyville, NSW. In February 1967 Keith was posted to Papua New Guinea where he served with the 2nd Pacific Islands Regiment. He returned to Brisbane in March 1968 and in February 1969 was appointed to the Australian Army Training Team in Vietnam.

In May 1969 he was in command of the 212th Company of the 1st Mobile Strike Force Battalion when attacked by a strong North Vietnamese force. Although wounded, Keith organised his troops into a defensive perimeter and then found isolated and wounded soldiers, rescuing some and organising the rescue of others. Keiths action that night earned him the Victoria Cross, which he received from the Queen aboard the Royal Yacht Britannia in Brisbane. He received the Distinguished Service Cross and the Silver Star from the United States and the Republic of Vietnam awarded him the Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star.

In January 1970 he was posted to the Royal Military College Duntroon as an instructor. He retired from the army in 1975, but saw further action as a captain with the Army of the Sultan of Oman in the Dhofar War. On return to Australia, Keith became active in the veteran community, particularly in counselling sufferers of post-traumatic stress disorder. This earned him the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 2006.

He now lives in retirement in Mackay with his wife Flo. Keith and Flo have five sons."

And the first group was to Captain Frederick Peters VC, DSO, DSC & Bar, US DSC - Royal Navy ( HMS 'Walney' ), the VC (and likely the US DSC) for actions at Oran harbor, Algeria in Nov. '42.

That is correct Peters was awarded the US DSC for the same actions that saw him awarded the VC.

You've set the bar pretty high for other to follow!! :)

Well I had to post some to start it off hope to see some nice ones

I have a picture of a medal group to an Australian pilot who was attached to the U.S. during Vietnam. His group includes a Silver Star, 4 DFC's, two Bronze Stars, Purple Heart, 16 Air Medals, and 2 Army Commendation Medals. I have been trying to post a pic of it but I can;t seem to figure out how to do it.

Well those are very high octane groups. How about some lesser ones. I will start with this Navy uniform/medal group to;

Rear-Admiral Hubbard Frederick Goodwin, USS Rochester, USS Breck, USS Milwaukee, USS Whitney, USS Mahopoc (C.O.), USS New Orleans (Ex. Off.), USS Granville (C.O.),U.S. Navy

(Served 1918-1953)

post-8200-0-36042700-1367120188.jpg

post-8200-0-78314800-1367120362.jpg

That is a really nice group. Thanks for showing.

What are the guidelines for the mounting of U.S. medals? Is it different for Navy, Army and Air Force?

Thanks

WW2 Raider, Korea and Vietnam Wars Vet:

usmc+raiders+menda+group2.JPG

usmc+raiders+menda+group1.JPG

• 2 weeks later...