Question on OD Beret !

doughboy

Hi,

I've got a question regarding the OD beret which was used by the 172nd Inf.Bde. in Alaska.I could read that the OD beret was introduced in about 1977 and all the units either airborne or non-airborne of the 172nd Inf.Bde. wore them.Now,here is my question.Does anyone of you know when came the OD beret in disuse - in the beginning 80's ? or mid to the end of the 80's ? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

doughboy

As J Andrews stated, you see all Berets of this type to include the Airborne's Maroon Beret were done away with at that time, not just the OD one. I got up to the AK in July 1981, the OD Beret was a that time a distant memory. I did see photos of them being worn however, a Sgt at Fort Hood, he was in A Co 4/9 Inf, 78-79, and wound up after that tour in the 1st Cav Div's C Co 2/12 Cav in early 1980, he had photos of himself and others in the OD Beret.

What is the deal with berets anyway? European and European trained militarys wear them. We are not a Europena trained armed forces. Why did the US ever get them? I know the Special Forces had the Green Beret first and then the Rangers had black berets (until recently). The Air Force and the Army went beret crazy. The only services not to authorize berets were the Navy, USMC and Coast Guard. I know that US Naval advisors in Vietnam wore black berets but they were never authorized. Personally I think they are stupid looking.

As someone who wore a beret for 4 years I have to say they did nothing to keep your head warm in winter, were hot in the summer, and did nothing to keep the sun out of your eyes. Very impractical for everyday wear in my opinion.

As someone who wore a beret for 4 years I have to say they did nothing to keep your head warm in winter, were hot in the summer, and did nothing to keep the sun out of your eyes. Very impractical for everyday wear in my opinion.

I wore a the wool beanie longer than that, and disagree with you.

1. A wool beret keeps the noggin warmer than a cotton patrol cap in the winter.

2. Wool's evaporative cooling effect makes it superior to cotton in summer.

3. Unlike the billed patrol cap a beret isn't easily knocked off of the noggin by small branches, etc in the boonies.

4. In garrison, it's easier to store in one's pocket.

I wore a the wool beanie longer than that, and disagree with you.

1. A wool beret keeps the noggin warmer than a cotton patrol cap in the winter.

2. Wool's evaporative cooling effect makes it superior to cotton in summer.

3. Unlike the billed patrol cap a beret isn't easily knocked off of the noggin by small branches, etc in the boonies.

4. In garrison, it's easier to store in one's pocket.

Well, to each his own. I've never been a fan of berets and the 'coolness' of wearing one wore off pretty quick for me during summer in Texas. I also discovered that not everyone can wear a beret correctly and we had several 'furry maroon chef hats' in our unit. As far as #3, we couldn't wear berets in the field and if I was in the woods, I probably had a helmet on, but I do agree with #4. Rolling it up and sticking it in the cargo pocket was easy enough.

Tricorners forever.

I agree, a proper White Binded (Gold Binding for Officers) 18th Century Military Tricorn would look jim dandy with the Army's new Dress Blues :lol:

post-34986-0-94451200-1365995383.jpg

I agree, a proper White Binded (Gold Binding for Officers) 18th Century Military Tricorn would look jim dandy with the Army's new Dress Blues :lol:

post-34986-0-94451200-1365995383.jpg

Only if worm with wigs!

When I was in RVN, I had two "bummer" kepis made up for a Huey gunner in the 3-5 Cav, attd to 1st Bde, 5th Mech. One in plain green, and one in tiger stripe. Each had a 3" wide crossed sabers patch with "5" on top. They cost me about $10 each -- and the rat never paid me!

Wonder where they went....

When I was in RVN, I had two "bummer" kepis made up for a Huey gunner in the 3-5 Cav, attd to 1st Bde, 5th Mech. One in plain green, and one in tiger stripe. Each had a 3" wide crossed sabers patch with "5" on top. They cost me about $10 each -- and the rat never paid me!

Wonder where they went....

Maybe one day they'll turn up in a member post here in the Forum :o

Kepis, I asked two times about a AF unit on Taiwan during the war that had as their Squadron headgear, a Rifle Green Kepi, does this ring any bells John, it can be seen in one of the Bob Hope Christmas shows, the entire DVD collection is out now for awhile, it covers every Christmas season from 1964-72, it's seen in the 1969 one I think.