B5 flight helmet audio connection question...

mr_lits

I have see this type of set up rigged on several fight helmets of the era and have tried to get some research done into the type of headphone/audio system this would have been. I have read about a system called Go Sport Voice Tubes. I am wondering if this would have been the system this helmet used? If any of you guys have any info to share it would be great. Thanks, Rob.

post-112555-0-39985400-1365897799.jpg

Gosport speaking tubes. The student could hear but not talk back to the instructor. A pair of rubber tubes went into the ear pieces.

I thought that might be a flight training helmet. Is the helmet missing some piece that would attach the tubes?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice helmet......I think some of these were fitted with a small tubular elbow, 90 degree, that would connect to a gosport system. Some corrosion is present at the openings....could be the the metal tubes were removed at some time. It sure would not take much add electronics to that one......early 8th style.

• 2 months later...
Butcher Boy

If you take a look at my website, go to the USAAF flight helmet page and you'll find a similar helmet with Gosport tubes in place.

This gives you an idea of what used to be on your flight helmet.

littlebuddy

nice early B5 Rob !! note the lack of hooks for the oxygen mask

LB

Actually Carl, I believe the hooks were introduced with the B6 model. I have not seen a B5 with the hooks, but I could be wrong. I often am....... according to my wife....

Butcher Boy

Some B-5 helmets were issued with hooks (or re-issued). The hooks were added once the A-9 and A-10 standard oxygen masks became available.

Helmets without the hooks had to use the "Juliet" to allow wear of these oxygen masks.

• 3 weeks later...
littlebuddy

i have a b5 that has been retagged b6 ! ill shall have to get some piccys done to show !