Philippine Constabulary Officer Swords

SARGE

Gentlemen,

As suggested, I am going to pin this thread to the top of the edged weapon forum for future reference. I am trying to find a suitable thread on variations of the "standard" US Model 1902 Army Officer Saber to pin but I am having difficulties. Since we no longer allow outside photo links those are now broken. This is the problem with outside links as they often fail, the photos get taken down, or the hosts change.

At any rate... does anyone have any further information on these Philippine Constabulary M1902 Sabers to add before we pin this thread?

www.swordforum.com click antique and military, then search M1902. There is a lot of information on the 1902. After owning over 160 of them and examining many more; I can usually date and determine the actual maker. By the way Baron was an exporter; I think the PC swords were made by WKC. Baron exported M1902s and M1852 USN.

You can send me photos to me at [email protected].

Ron, I look forward to your pending information on the US Constabulary Sabers. Post away when you get your information together.

Tim, Thanks for the follow up on the US M1902 Saber question in general and the link to Sword Forum International (SFI) in particular. You are absolutly correct about the excellent US Model 1902 Army Officer Saber information that is available there via the search engine.

• 4 months later...

I am researching the Philippine Constabulary swords and at this point the evidence points to the possibilty that both known types ( BARON marked and Crown over the letter H proofed marked) were made by the same maker. It appears that the same number dies and locations of the numbers are identicle to both swords.

If you have one of the PC swords will you write me at : ( rwnvault @ aol.com) and I can send you the information and the results so far and perhaps you can help me determine the correct answer. Please let me know which type you have.

Thanks.

Ron Norman

The possible use of Baron as a trademark by Horster has been noted by German sword collectors, though it was properly claimed by Gottfried Weyersberg Sohne...but apparently there are German military blades from the 1930s made by Horster and bearing the Baron trademark...

The Solingen sword makers were an insestuis lot; that sold components to each other. Baron was an exporter and I have seen his name on M1852/74 USN and M1902s.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The scabbard on mine is not magnetic...has this been noted on other PC sabers?

I checked all of mine and found all the scabbards, guards and hilts were NON Magnetic. Only the blade was magnetic. That probably means that all of the parts are brass with nickel plating.

Ron Norman

I checked all of mine and found all the scabbards, guards and hilts were NON Magnetic. Only the blade was magnetic. That probably means that all of the parts are brass with nickel plating.

Ron Norman

Maybe. Nickel is magnetic, so white brass might be a better candidate. I just found it odd, since the Army had so many problems with white brass scabbards and the PC scabbards all seem to be in good shape...

• 3 years later...

Gentlemen,

There is a nice article by Ron Norman in this month's edition of "Military Trader" (May 1919 - Volume 26, Issue 5) titled, "Maintaining Order - Belts and buckles of the Philippine Constabulary." Ron has contributed to this thread and discusses the "very rare" Philippine Constabulary Officer belt with "Type 3" belt buckle shown in this thread. As he states in his article there are only two complete sword belts and one PC officer buckle known to still exist in collections.

Nice article Ron!

There is a nice article by Ron Norman in this month's edition of "Military Trader" (May 1919 - Volume 26, Issue 5) titled, "Maintaining Order - Belts and buckles of the Philippine Constabulary." Ron has contributed to this thread and discusses the "very rare" Philippine Constabulary Officer belt with "Type 3" belt buckle shown in this thread. As he states in his article there are only two complete sword belts and one PC officer buckle known to still exist in collections.

Nice article Ron!

You are right, Sarge--a great article. I was proud to be able to offer it to our subscribers.

I figure not everyone reads Military Trader, so I posted the story for all to enjoy:

https://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader-news/maintaining-order-belts-of-the-philippines-constabulary

John

ron norman

Thanks John and Sarge. I appreciate your kind words and help in offering the article for others who don't get the "Military Trader" to read.

Ron Norman