USAF Navigator Wings set by Harry Sugerman

MattS

Oddly I bought these at two different places online only to find out they match. Both have the "S-21" mark which I believe is Harry Sugerman from San Antonio, Texas. The full size badge shows evidence of being polished as some of the finer details have been rubbed smooth, but the mini ones are crisp. Would these be correct for a 1960s navigator lieutenant colonel? Thanks!

post-32676-0-68383400-1365708619.jpg

Got some better close-ups with the other camera. The seller claimed these were "NEW", and "never issued out". I disagree.

post-32676-0-29687400-1365716100.jpg

Oddly I bought these at two different places online only to find out they match. Both have the "S-21" mark which I believe is Harry Sugerman from San Antonio, Texas. The full size badge shows evidence of being polished as some of the finer details have been rubbed smooth, but the mini ones are crisp. Would these be correct for a 1960s navigator lieutenant colonel? Thanks!

Hi MattS,

S-21 = Harry Sugerman, you're right.

Three digit codes were introduced in the middle of 1960s, so your wings could be from 1965 to 1970s (so, surely from Vietnam War era).

I consulted the Wikipedia page about USAF ratings: Master grade is generally worn by Navigators who have flown at least 3000 hours, which is about 15 years of service. So yes, I think a Lieutnant Colonel (or a Colonel, or a General) should worn this badge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Air_Force_aeronautical_rating#Navigator_ratings

I should have specified, I bought these for a display in honor of a USAF LtCol who started as a navigator in WW2 on B-17s (flying 35 combat missions in Europe), 21 combat missions in B-29s over Korea, and ended in B-52s in 1968. He had 26 years service (1942-68) at retirement. Thanks for the input!

• 5 years later...

Just purchased a small group of the full size Master Navigator wings like this if anyone is interested in purchasing one.