Tank Destroyers in Combat

Jim Baker

Charlie Flick

Hey Erwin:

I know that you like the tank destroyer stuff. I ran across this TD soldier's story while looking for something else. He was on a M-18 crew and ended up with a Silver Star. He spent some time in Belgium during the Bulge too. I thought it might be of interest to you:

http://www.kued.org/productions/worldwar2/breinholt_don.php

Regards,

Charlie Flick

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

also no "Combat Action Pics" but of a event for the 60ies anniversay of liberation of a french village which took place in 2004 ...

all vehicles belong to one single french collector ...

my french club an me where invited to "man" some of the vehicles to give a authentic impression ...

DEAD LINKS- dwiv

• 3 months later...
702nd TD Collector

Another Tank Destroyer ........ the M-36.

This one was taken in the Ardennes.
I believe the two pictures are of the same TD.

Upside down.

Back on its ... eh tracks.

Erwin

This is a picture of the truck that puled the M36 back on his tracks. The TD belonged to the 702nd TD Bn.
Two of the TD crew members were killed

• 7 years later...

I believe that this is a M-36 Tank Destroyer set up for indirect fire but can't say for sure. The markings are a diamond to the side and no star so not sure what that represents as to unit. Still an interesting picture which I thought would go nice in this thread.

post-17286-0-67359400-1456450606.jpg

The markings are a diamond to the side and no star so not sure what that represents as to unit.

M10 (not M36) of the Free French 1st Armored Division. It's actually a rectangle with a white diamond in the center and red or blue in opposite corners of the rectangle.

And FYI to all: these would be much more useful if any known caption information could be included: unit, location, date, etc.

Here are a couple of pictures from a man whose dog tag I own, who was with the 817th TD battalion. Standing next to his M18 Hellcat, as well as sitting on its 76MM gun, with German ruins in the background.

post-104906-0-13759600-1456535642.jpg

post-104906-0-50208400-1456535660.jpg

M10 (not M36) of the Free French 1st Armored Division. It's actually a rectangle with a white diamond in the center and red or blue in opposite corners of the rectangle.

And FYI to all: these would be much more useful if any known caption information could be included: unit, location, date, etc.

You are right, the 1st and 5th (French) armored divisions had the French "Imperial" flag (this particular shape was used in Napoleon's Grand army) painted on the sides of their vehicules. The motto "France d'abord" (meaning France 1st) was often written inside the white diamond (see photo).

Dan.

post-1681-0-88763000-1456579945.jpg

Which French unit used M36s?

The photos of the 817th are interesting.

I have a large group of photos from another guy in the 817th.

Can a moderator restore the links, please?

Those in my posts still exist (I mean I did not remove the photos).

Erwin

Jeeper, if I remember correctly you provided me with a photo of the yard long that I was able to locate my guy in. Definitely some neat photos and there are actually a couple more floating around in case anyone else is interested in seeing them.

Which French unit used M36s?

The photos of the 817th are interesting.

I have a large group of photos from another guy in the 817th.

Can a moderator restore the links, please?

Those in my posts still exist (I mean I did not remove the photos).

Erwin

Erwin,

None of them if I remember well. All French TD battalions were equiped with the M-10.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple more from the soldier I posted above with the 817th TD Battalion (hope they're OK to post as they're not of the actual tank destroyers, but are pictures of Bensink, as well as taken by him while overseas). Pictured as well is a shot of the Siegfried Line, taken by Bensink.

post-104906-0-03221300-1457905519.jpg

post-104906-0-12709500-1457905574.jpg