Last One, Trying to Identify Bayonet

jeffshir

ww2relichunter

This bayonet was issued from the late 1880s right through i believe a few may have been issued in ww2 the bayonet saw the most use in in the span-am war. Yours was issued after the fact in 1902 so your was most likely not in a war ! It is still a very collectable bayonet and your looks to be in great shape and with the original scabbard and hanger so great piece !

These were adopted to fit the M1892 ('94) Krag-Jorgenson rifle and continued in use until the '03 Springfield was adopted. THey wereprobably used in training during WW1 when '03's and '17 Enfields were not available.

G

The Cadet version of this bayonet served at West Point into the 1950's.

Then there's the mysterious order of Krag bayonets during WWII.

The Cadet version of this bayonet served at West Point into the 1950's.

Then there's the mysterious order of Krag bayonets during WWII.

OK I give, what is the story of Krag bayonets during WW2

OK I give, what is the story of Krag bayonets during WW2

Although I have yet to find any real proof, it is possible that the 900 Krag bayonets listed as purchased in 1942 (600 in April, 300 in July) were purchased from Sedgley.

Frank Trzaska mentions them in his Knife Knotes at: http://www.usmilitar...e_knotes_13.htm

The following is quoted from that, and I certainly cannot say it any better:

"We have known for some time of the 900 Krag bayonets listed in the Bayonets, Knives and Scabbards Project Supporting Paper as being made in 1942. On the surface this seems incredible that Krag bayonets would have been made during war time in the government arsenal. Why we ask? Never having any information on the topic to follow up on we let it go. Just something to keep in the back of the mind for use at a later date. What do they look like? How are they marked? Dated or undated? In any case it would seem at least one would have surfaced over the years. Then we speculated it could have been a program to rebuild 900 that was just listed wrong in the report. But all is just speculation anyway so just keep on looking for the answer. Well we can’t say we have it for sure but the best speculation so far is the Sedgley Krag bayonet. At the start of WW II all the rifles that could still be used were requested back from colleges, military academies and ROTC programs all over the US. To fill this gap a commercial gun company out of Philadelphia Pa. Sedgley built some rifles, M1903 type and bayonets, M1892 type to supply these organizations with items to drill with. The US government purchased these Krag bayonets for issue to: Virginia Military Academy, Pennsylvania Military College, Minnesota State Guard and even the OSS among others. This would account for the 900 Krag bayonets listed as procured in 1942. While we don’t have the actual records to account for 900 in two months of 1942 we feel certain this is the best speculation so far."

This bayonet is shown and mentioned in: http://www.usmilitar...yonet-scabbard/

RustyCanteen

this WWI soldier is shown training with the same type of bayonet, I heard these will also fit on the 1903 Springfield rifles

I believe that's actually a British soldier demonstrating bayonet fighting to US soldiers.

Here is the original image:

post-101332-0-74777300-1365738370.jpg

and the original caption:

Training Camp Activities. Bayonet fighting instruction by an English Sergeant Major, Camp Dick, Texas, ca. 1917 - ca. 1918

Additional link: Training Camp Activities. Bayonet fighting instruction by an English Sergeant Major, Camp Dick, Texas, ca. 1917 - ca. 1918