Sabre ID Help Needed

hirsca

I am helping a friend of mine go through and identify all of his grandfather's military items. His grandfather was a veteran of the Span-Am War and WW1 (wounded). Starting with edged weapons, I have ID'd the two bayonets as a French M1892 for the Mannilicher-Berthier Carbine and a German M1884/98 dated 1917. However, the sabre is yet a mystery. Weird cast bronze squared off hand guard (broken). Remnants of what looks like to me to be Spanish writing on the blade. I'm thinking that it might be a Spa-Am bring back. He will be bringing me the rest of the items next week, but I was hoping to have an ID for him on the sabre when he gets back in town. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-95599400-1365619602.jpg

post-12790-0-71896400-1365619613.jpg

post-12790-0-48509300-1365619633.jpg

The sword has the look of a pre-WWI German made. They made swords for most of Europe and the Americas.

Thanks Flashlarue. I have searched everywhere and can't find examples with the squared off hand guard. Any suggestions? Thanks again, Al.

71wysocki got the style correct but they had cast brass handles. Must be either earlier or different model.

Try researching at oldswords.com

Thank you 71wysocki and Terry K. The handle is cast also. Both hilt and hand guard look to be bronze to me, but could be brass---lots of dark patina. I'm going with the M1767 French Infantry Hanger. Must have been a WW1 bring back also. Thanks again, my friend will be thrilled. Al.