Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow: Atomic Age Exhibit

gwb123

Over the winter months the Strategic Air and Space Museum in Ashland, NE hosted a traveling exhibition, Alert Today, Alive Tomorrow: Living with the Atomic Bomb 1945-1965.

It featured over 75 artifacts, large and small from the "atomic" era..... ....A number of the people there were my age and remembered the elementary school terror of "Duck and Cover"... many of the younger people just looked at these items like they were from another planet.........

Included in the exhibit were a simulated basement fall out shelter, a missile command station, a 1960's classroom...... to add to the charm were the sounds of an air raid siren along with Civil Defense Alert messages.....all designed to bring back the paranoia of those days.

This exhibit has departed the Strategic Air and Space Museum (to my regret... I wish some of this had remained as a permanent display.) But you may see it elsewhere as it travels the country.

AA 1.jpg

AA 2.jpg

Many of the era's talents were encouraged to contribute to the campaign to raise awareness for Civil Defense... this character was designed by none other than Al Capp, the artist behind the popular Lil' Abner comics.

AA 1B.jpg

AA 10.jpg

AA 30a.jpg

AA 30.jpg

After the details of the atomic strikes on Japan were made public, the public was encouraged that they could contribute to an American victory by SURVIVING the dropping of the bomb. That meant going underground and building shelters either in their home or nearby.

The exhibit made the point that initially this meant building shelters on WWII models that basically protected people from the effects of blast and debris.

Around the country, families publically experimented with shelter living for weeks at time. Anyone who has children can just imagine what this must have been like.

It was only later in the 1950's that the effects of radiation became more publicized. It was only then that people realized they would not be in hiding for hours or days, but for weeks or months.

The dangers had a special meaning in Omaha where people lived next to SAC Headquarters... one of the top 3 targets in the country along with Cheyenne Mountain and the Pentagon.

AA 8.jpg

AA 12.jpg

AA 12b.jpg

AA 7.jpg

Close up shots.... note the markings on the water barrel, along with instructions on how it can later be used as a "commode".

AA 9.jpg

AA 11.jpg

One of my favorite items in the exhibit... I am not sure if this was meant to be a template for planning a shelter, or a kids book to acquaint them for the happy fun times they will have living in the basement. The 1950's Dick and Jane style characters are priceless.

AA 19.jpg

AA 19a.jpg

But what if you couldn't make it to your shelter, or didn't have one? This insert from a Chicago paper has helpful hints in case you get caught short the day the bomb falls...

AA 20c.jpg

AA 20.jpg

AA 20b.jpg

Civil Defense posters could be found everywhere... these appear to be the right size for a bus or subway overhead.

Notice the hip, cool young people calmly making their preparations for a home shelter... this was a common theme for what would become the Kennedy generation.

AA 16.jpg

AA 17.jpg

AA 18.jpg

Civil Defense materials were developed for specific groups, especially farmers. Atomic attacks might focus on the city, but the farming community also needed to take precautions to help rebuild the country after a strike.

AA 21.jpg

AA 21b.jpg

AA 21C.jpg

Some of the posters were straight out of World War II... special appeals were made to women to participate in Civil Defense organizations with an unambiguous message that their work would save their children. This is actually one of the tamer posters that was on exhibit.

AA 25.jpg

AA 25b.jpg

AA 25c.jpg

Another appeal in the early 1950's, when the primary thread was from manned bombers, was for volunteers for the Ground Observer Corps.

It was phased out when the primary threat switched to Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.

AA 61.jpg

AA 61B.jpg

AA 62.jpg

AA 60b.jpg

AA 63.jpg

Other civic organizations were also made part of the Civil Defense plan, including the Girl Scouts.

AA 13.jpg

Cadres were established... plans were made...city maps were made with Civil Defense evacuation routes clearly marked...

AA 70.jpg

AA 24.jpg

Books and how to manuals abounded....both official and unofficial...

as the dangers of lingering radiation became recognized, the emphasis moved from burrowing in to evacuating at the earliest opportunity...

AA 55.jpg

AA 57.jpg

AA 58.jpg

AA 58b.jpg

AA 58c.jpg

Gadgets and gear began to appear on the market...recommended for "camping or fall out shelters"...

Ironically the "disaster radio" was produced in Japan.

Looking like something right out of the TV show "Madmen", a pocket radiation detector that could be discretely worn in the pocket of a business suit.

AA 40.jpg

AA 44.jpg

AA 15.jpg

AA 15b.jpg

Almost every radio in the country had the preset channels marked for the Civil Defense channels should the alert sound.... 640 and 1240 on the AM dial.

This one was blaring out a CONELRAD alert message at intervals... very disconcerting, even when you know you are standing in the middle of a museum exhibit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD

AA 35c.jpg

AA 35.jpg

AA 35b.jpg

While the civilian populace was being prepared for the very real possibility of atomic warfare, the military was on guard with our deterrent force....

AA 110.jpg

AA 111.jpg

aa 112.jpg

Dedicated officers waited in underground command centers for the order to fire upon our enemies... hundreds of enlisted men maintained the systems and safeguarded the sites.

AA 113.jpg

aa 114.jpg

AA  115.jpg

AA 100.jpg

AA 101.jpg

It was not enough to educate the adults about the dangers of atomic warfare... children were taught how to defend themselves should the day come in their schools...

(Personal note... we didn't believe a word of it!)

(2nd Personal note... I had that very same book cover! I think my school had stocks of them for years to come!)

aa 151.jpg

aa 152.jpg

aa 150.jpg

Send CD 3 small.jpg

But hey... not everything was doom and gloom back then! Look at some of the cool toys we had...

AA 14.jpg

AA 14a.jpg

AA 14b.jpg

I live in Lincoln and there was a SAC B-47 base here then and when Kennedy finished his TV speach on the Cuban Missile Crisis some practical joker trigger the air raid sirens. About three blocks from my house during the cold war was a Fallout Shelter and Communications Center. It was the Irvingdale Shelter and if you search on the web you can find all sorts of interesting information, like a dairy with a fallout shelter for it's cows. My wife and her sister spent a weekend in it with their dad, a cop, on a shakedown test when they got it done. It would have made a great Cold War museum, but the city emptied it out and it is used for storage by the parks department. It had a garage door so they could store a "radio car" inside to go out and check the radiation.

And some more goodies...what young boy wouldn't want his own Civil Defense control center?

Or how about a toy Geiger Counter that looked just like Dad's?

AA 133.jpg

AA 41.jpg