What happened to uniforms from KIA's in ww2?

Normandy1944

Normandy1944

With this information, I went to 29infantrydivision.org, and searched for overman in the rosters.

The only result I got was Clifford C Overman.

He was killed on d-day.

After this, I searched the National Archives.

I got 201 results for Overman, but only one for a technical sergeant.

This man enlisted in 1946, so I don't think that he's the owner of this jacket.

If someone has more information or tips for me: all help is welcome with my research.

Never mind the date, but you can determine it could not be the Overman from the 29th that was KIA on D-day by whats on the uniform. First there is a Ruptured Duck. Since he was KIA on D-Day he was not discharged. Second there are two stars on the EAME ribbon. D-Day was the 29th's first action, again KIA on D-Day so he couldn't gotten two stars. Third, he was 19 when he was KIA, there is a 3 year service stripe and an American Defense ribbon on the uniform. He would have had to be 15 when he enlisted to have earned these. Fourth, he was not in combat long enough to earn the CIB. It is possibly someone who transfered to the 29th and just did not put on his prior service patch.

Ray

Normandy1944

Allright, so it's not the Overman I found.

Is it possible to find out who was the real owner?

Is it possible to find out who was the real owner?

Unfortunately, without his last four or initials, it's pretty much impossible to figure out exactly who it belonged to. With a round SSI and NCO stripes, you could open it up to AAF personnel as well as regular Army. Quite a few options...

It could also have belonged to the same owner throughout his entire career...soldiers did get "busted" in rank, so that's always an explanation for the more senior stripes.

Dave