WWI Marine Corps?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

In the large collection I bought a couple of weeks ago was this set. The 2nd division patch is machine embroidered on wool and is about two inches tall. The tab is about an inch tall and is hand embroidered on black wool.

Does any one recognize them? They remind me of overseas hat type patches.

Thanks.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Bob,

Based on the shape of the indian head background, I would say it is Army 2nd division HQ or MP. They both used that shape and the colors (black or dark blue) were interchangeable. Sorry that I can't help on the 2nd Squad patch. You may be right that this was something made to be worn on an overseas cap or even a legionaire cap.

Nice finds.

Uniforms of the Day

Bob,

Probably a wild goose chase, but in WWI the USMC aviation started with numbered squadrons. I know they had a 1st, but don't know about a 2nd. Later they lettered their squadrons. In the 20s, they restructured a little and I am pretty sure they had a 2nd Squadron. The SSI, as you well know, is WWI - 20s. A beautiful patch. Just thought I'd throw that out because it could mean 'squadron' and aviation could be another angle to look at. I admit it does sort of resemble the patches you find on early veterans' group hats, but it's nothing I've seen before and is very cool whatever it is.

I have the exact same indianhead patch on my grandfather's VFW cap. It was a Studley purchase I believe as Studley advertised actively in the VFW and American Legion magazines in the 1920's and 30's. My grandfather was in Battery A, 17th Field Artillery. I can't help you with the rectangular patch.

Allan

vintageproductions

Allan-I am right there with you on the Studley 2nd division, but it's the tab which has me thrown.....

Uniforms of the Day

Bob, The VFW information is helpful. Many VFW Posts are divided by squads. Rifle Squad, Color Squad, etc. For parades and event activities. I am thinking, based upon the familiar cap size/shape of the tab, the VFW uniform tip from Allan, etc. this may be a VFW cap tab showing membership with a post squad and showing the members' former branch of service. Now, if someone can produce one saying 2nd SQ. USA, or USAAF or something!