Viet Nam era USN Pilot grouping - Dumpster save

joefriday22

joefriday22

The top of the check off list attached to the clip board says, " Attack Squadron One Two Five LTJG W. A. Finn

Also: A4-D

Hi Rob, VA 125 was the West Coast A4 Replacement Squadron in charge of indoctrination and training for carrier attack pilots, in two words Skyhawk School !!!

Best

Croc

Rob, that is a great score. What a grouping!!

I think the bag with the yellow straps is probably made by the squadron Parachute Riggers (PRs).

Chris

joefriday22

Croc, thank you again Sir..

Chris, thank you and you could very well be correct..

Best,

Rob

Here is some info from the Naval Aviation Museum's website http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/archive/nfl/nflshow.php?id=3527 :

CAPT WILLIAM "Mick" A. FINN, USN

FLIGHT LOG ID: 3527

Service Date In: 07/19/1951 Date of Birth: 12/04/1933 Service Date Out: 02/01/1983 Aviation Designation Naval Aviator State/College Attended US Naval Academy/USN Postgraduate City, State Williamsburg,VA

Highest Personnal Decoration or Award:

Legion of Merit

Theaters/Campaigns:

Vietnam

Aircraft:

A-4

F9F-5

T-33

C-45

Ship/Units/Deployments:

VA-195

VA-163

Associations/Service Organizations:

Naval Aviation Foundation

Nav. Aviation Museum Fdn.

US Naval Academy Alumni Assn.

Significant Achievements:

BS degree US Naval Academy 1957. MSAE USN Postgraduate School 1966

Ironic that a person who belonged to the Naval Aviation Museum Foundation would have their own history thrown away.

joefriday22

Thank you very much Sir.. Yes, pretty ironic..and sad. Fortunately the young man who was paid to throw it away didn't...the items are in good hands now.

Best,

Rob

Thank you very much Sir.. Yes, pretty ironic..and sad. Fortunately the young man who was paid to throw it away didn't...the items are in good hands now.

Best,

Rob

Rob, I glad to hear that!

joefriday22

Much thanks Sirs..

Rob

PS. It makes me sick to imagine how much history is lost to the garbage truck every day...

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

Nobody noticed the typical USN wry humor in post No. 4?

Look at the photo of the checklist and note the penciled change of the 'l' to a 't' :

"After Start - Check Attitude......"

This was quite common in our daily banter.

Great historical grouping!

Some forum members have almost all well explained as always! ;)

Was the boom mic used in single seat jets? I'm not sure. So this one would have been added flying some other aircraft than A-4? The APH-6A is personalised with VA-163 colours.

And I believe the riggers modified survival vest is made from SL-1 survival leggings as Northcoastaero presumed.

Franck

Aloha Everyone,

Nobody noticed the typical USN wry humor in post No. 4?

Look at the photo of the checklist and note the penciled change of the 'l' to a 't' :

"After Start - Check Attitude......"

This was quite common in our daily banter.

I don't think that is an attempt at humor. It appears he has corrected a mis-spelling on the locally produced checklist. Gyros in this case are for checking the aircraft's attitude in relation to the horizon.

Chris

History Man

I just keep finding myself coming back to this thread, its a really killer group and has the "been there" look! Amazing to see this was found in a trash.

Philip

Nice maps Rob !! You better be careful, you have some "confidential" Walleye info from the 1960s there. :P

The red tool is probably a safety interlock possibly used for items such as the landing gear, wing fold, leading edge slats etc.

Chris