Viet Nam era USN Pilot grouping - Dumpster save

joefriday22

joefriday22

Hello Sirs. I received a call today from a guy who works for a company that cleans out garages, attics, etc. He had these items and a few other pieces of militaria. He told me that he was going to throw the items in the dumpster if I didn't want them. Gracious! I can't find any info on either Mickey Finn or William Anthony Finn. I'm not sure if these two guys are the same and "Mickey" is a nickname or they are two relatives. There is paperwork for VA 195 and Attack Squadron 163. Numerous maps of VN and assorted paperwork.

I am not very familiar with aviation gear so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Rob

IMG_3251_zpsc349183f.jpg

IMG_3252_zps78c57584.jpg

IMG_3253_zps05b2409e.jpg

IMG_3254_zpse744b9d7.jpg

IMG_3255_zps0b6852fe.jpg

IMG_3256_zpsbbf75c86.jpg

IMG_3257_zpsed9cf1a3.jpg

IMG_3258_zps430fd1a8.jpg

IMG_3259_zps46f1ce4a.jpg

IMG_3260_zps24d5ec70.jpg

northcoastaero

Really nice find!! VA-195 Dambunters operated the A-4C Skyhawk from 1964-1968 on four Vietnam War

cruises aboard the Bon Homme Richard and Ticonderoga. VA-163 Saints operated the A-4E Skyhawk from

1965-1969 on four Vietnam War cruises aboard the Oriskany and Hancock. The MA-2 torso parachute

harness has upper Koch riser fittings and Rocket Jet lower lap belt fittings. Has an added webbing

on the right shoulder for the SDU-5/E strobe light. The anti-g suit is a cutaway Z-3. Survival

vest could be a rigger made vest or modified SV-1 vest or SL-1 survival leggings modified into a

vest. The cushion with a slot in the center is probably for a seat parachute assy.? The flight

helmet is a modified APH-6A with a M-6A/UR microphone element on a fixed boom (not break away boom)

on the right side. The helmet markings are probably from VA-163 Saints, but flown in the

Grumman US-2B aircraft because of the added boom microphone and MS-22001 oxygen mask with the MC-3A connector on the end of the hose. The other oxygen mask has a miniregulator between the low and high

pressure hoses and would probably be for the A-4C Skyhawk aircraft. The clipboards are the unlighted

Mark 2A and the lighted (missing light) MXU-5/P. The small bag is known as a Nav Bag and is used to

hold checklists, charts, navigation instruments, flashlight, etc. I will do some more research on the

US-2B acft. to find out the squadron. The book Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club by Rene J. Francillon is a

great reference book.

History like this does NOT belong in a dumpster. Please pass on our collective kudos to the gentleman who alerted you to this. I'd buy him a beer.

joefriday22

Thank you all very much for the positive comments. Bill/Nothcoast..thank you both very much for the information. You both answered everything I could want to know and more.

To top all of this off, the call about these items came from a young guy that I had never even met before. He replied to an ad that I have out looking for militaria. I did pay him for the items as it was the right thing to do...plus in all honesty I want him to call me again if/when he finds more military items. He said that he throws items away regularly. I actually thought that the dates on the one harnes said 1980. When I got home I looked through the paperwork and quickly realized that it was all VN era. Upon closer inspection the date is 1960.

Again Sirs..thank you very much.

Rob

RustyCanteen

He was on the Bon Homme Richard in '63. (There is a photo of him on ancestry as a Lt.).

I don't have the time to do much searching right now.

northcoastaero

The harness may be dated 1966? The Koch upper fittings came into use in 1963-64 and were modified to

earlier harnesses. The flight gear is probably from the VA-163 Saints 1966 USS Oriskany cruise and

modified for use with the Grumman US-2B aircraft at the same time or later. The US-2B probably

belonged to a VC- (composite) squadron or VRC- [Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD) squadron]. Items

that seem to be missing are the MK-3C life preserver with yellow bladders, brown safety toe flight

boots, B-3A tan/yellow or gray flight gloves, survival vest contents, and flightsuit.

Hi Rob,

Very nice grouping, congrat, William A Flinn, is not listed in the USS Oriskany cruisebooks, but that doesn't means that he didn't toured with this unit, it's only means that he left the unit when the cruisebook was prepared, and as you know during this cruise USS oriskany lost many sailors and naval aviators during terrible 26 october 1966 fire (four VA 163 pilots died in the fire).

After a quick look, he was promoted Lcdr on 1 april 1966 (before the cruise start), but changed his duty from naval aviator (131x) to Aeronautical Engineering duty (151x) and this duty modification should be the key to understand why you have papers from other airplanes.

Let me know by PM if you need his birth date, serial number and NSN for any futher investigation you would do to NARA.

Best Croc

joefriday22

The harness may be dated 1966? The Koch upper fittings came into use in 1963-64 and were modified to

earlier harnesses. The flight gear is probably from the VA-163 Saints 1966 USS Oriskany cruise and

modified for use with the Grumman US-2B aircraft at the same time or later. The US-2B probably

belonged to a VC- (composite) squadron or VRC- [Carrier Onboard Delivery (COD) squadron]. Items

that seem to be missing are the MK-3C life preserver with yellow bladders, brown safety toe flight

boots, B-3A tan/yellow or gray flight gloves, survival vest contents, and flightsuit.

I believe that the harness is dated 1960. I originally thought that the 6 was an 8 but it's a 6 and the last number is a 0 for sure.

joefriday22

Croc, thank you very much for the info.

I spent hours searching for this man today and did not find a single mention of him on the internet. You guys were able to find information in minutes..impressive. I've never had much luck with research.

Best,

Rob

northcoastaero

Just curious. What is the part number on the lower high pressure hose on the mask? It should be

located on the green silicone part. Also, What is the designation of the miniregulator on the same

mask? It may be made by Bendix? Thank-you. The sage green helmet bag may originally have been USAF

issue. The other bag is probably for the flight gear.

joefriday22

I'll check on the numbers when I get home from work :) . I think that it said MSA on it. The bag with the yellow straps and VA195 on it is fake fur lined..helmet bag?

Rob

joefriday22

Very nice..Thank you Sir.. and thank you all for taking the time to research and educate me. I appreciate it very much.

V/r

Rob