CVE-26 USS SANGAMON-COMPOSITE AIR GROUP 37-Please Help

Hello everyone. First of all, I am new so wanted to thank all of you who take the time to read these and share your knowledge. My grandfather (Joe Galvin) was on the Sangamon with Composite Air Group 37. While there is a bevy of information about the ship, I am having a hard time finding out info about the air group. It seems that C(omposite)AG 37 was aka VC 37 as they had VF and VT components. He was a tail-gunner on the Grumman Avenger which was a torpedo bomber but could change ordinance to support ground operations as well.There is another thread where a fellow is trying to ID a patch:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usmilitariaforum.com%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Ftopic%2F146580-ww2-squadron-patch%2F&ei=deRiUY6AJcHJiwLi7oCYAQ&usg=AFQjCNGC2o7fMpEwrvJXMtT1E9xRcZ3EWQ&sig2=5MZ2wpz8a89pc4hXVXMmpQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.cGE

I would really appreciate any inforfmation or direction as to where I could learn more about this. Did they have a nickname? Is the patch referanced above VC37? If not, anyone know where it might be found? The ship and air groups saw a lot of action and received a Presidental Citation, but my grandpa never mentioned it. He was my hero before I found out he was one in a different life.

Thanks again

Quinn

Johnny Signor

Well, technically he was also with VF-26 until assigned to the 37 air group , and the VF-37 patch design has been talked about already in the other threads , best thing to do to find the background of his unit/ship is to contact a "Sangamon" site , Google the ships number , I'm sure they have a webpage online.

Johnny

I was hoping I might be able to help you with this as I have a copy of the USS Sangamon's WW II cruise book. Although there are many photos inside of the aircraft, unfortunately there is very little specific information regarding the air group. Unlike some carrier cruise books, there are no individual sections of photos, insignia, personnel, or history of the air group or squadrons. Good luck with your search though.