December 7th, 1941.....USS Oklahoma Purple Heart.

Jack's Son

A big thanks to all members who contacted me and dropped a note on my behalf.

Karen understands my reasons for not wanting to give this group up, and she does feel comfortable that the members of this forum Honor, and Respect the men who have served and sacrificed for us. I have sent a copy of all the research I have on her G-Great uncle, and will continue to be of help if needed.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Jack's Son:

James Thomas Cheshire was my great-grandmother's brother. I'm including a picture so you can see the man who earned those medals. He and his two youngest sisters, my great-aunt Rosine and my great-grandma Mary, were like the Three Musketeers when they were growing up. They played together and got into trouble together too!

I was wondering if you'd consider a situation where the medals could be returned to the family. I'm not sure how they ended up at auction, but my grandmother Joyce was understandably dismayed when I told her about her uncle's medals being sold. If I had seen the auction back in March I would've pursued it then, but I had no idea that they were no longer in our family.

I understand if you're attached to the medals. They are a beautiful group. I was just hoping you'd consider returning a piece of our family's history to us. Thanks so much for listening!

Karen

I realize this is an older post, My name is Paul T Cheshire. My grand father 9who pasted in 1966) talked of James and my grandfathers son Henry who was killed crossing the Elbe often. I believe because I look very much like jame's Oklahoma photo. I was sent this link from the USS Oklahoma Society about his medals. If you see this you can PM me, I have photos of the Okie Memorial at Pearl I would be glad to send you. I also would like to post this info of his I.D.

Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency. Fulfilling Our Nation's Promise

Service Member CPHMP JAMES THOMAS CHESHIRE

• WORLD WAR II UNITED STATES NAVY
  • Accounted For 09/28/2018

On September 28, 2018, the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) identified the remains of Chief Pharmacist's Mate James Thomas Cheshire, missing from World War II.

Chief Pharmacist's Mate Cheshire, who joined the U.S. Navy from California, was serving aboard the USS Oklahoma (BB-37) at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, when the ship came under attack from Japanese aircraft. He was killed in the attack, and while his remains were recovered from the ship following the incident, they could not be individually identified at the time. CPHM Cheshire was initially buried as an unknown at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific. In 2015, advances in forensic techniques prompted the reexamination of remains associated with the Oklahoma, and CPHM Cheshire was eventually identified from among them.

Chief Pharmacist's Mate Cheshire is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

mylittlebirdie

Paul, I cannot view your profile in order to PM you. I used to be able to view member profiles and am unsure why it changed. Id love to see the pictures of the memorial as I have never been to Hawaii. If you can view my member profile feel free to initiate a private message. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I worked out a deal with the family and this medal will be going back to them. Amy Cheshire has plans to share his medal with Schools and other venues. She does presentations around the anniversary of the attack each year.

Kurt

Kurt, I know what it's like to have to give up a significant piece of history, but what you have done goes well beyond the bounds of being a good guy. You are to be congratulated for your act of kindness. Jack

mylittlebirdie

Kurt, thank you so much for righting a past wrong and for returning these items to Amy! I know that they mean a lot to her and her family, and Im grateful for your kind heart.

Kurt, thank you so much for righting a past wrong and for returning these items to Amy! I know that they mean a lot to her and her family, and Im grateful for your kind heart.

I thought it was the right thing to do after talking to Amy.

I want everyone on the forum to be clear that I sold the medal back to the family for exactly what I paid. I did not give it to her for free. I did not make any money in returning it. It was a very expensive medal and I could not afford to give it back for free. I don't get donations like PHR does.

Kurt

I thought it was the right thing to do after talking to Amy.

I want everyone on the forum to be clear that I sold the medal back to the family for exactly what I paid. I did not give it to her for free. I did not make any money in returning it. It was a very expensive medal and I could not afford to give it back for free. I don't get donations like PHR does.

Kurt

Kurt;

That is a very reasonable, and considerate approach, and I am sure the family appreciates your efforts.

Many of us remember the Purple Heart that Robin located for the brother of a fallen Marine. Robin purchased the PH, and generously gave it to the brother at no cost. I seem to recall that Robin paid something like $3K for the PH.

When Robin checked on the brother some time later, the PH was gone. Best guess is that the brother sold it.

I remember that this upset Robin greatly, and understandably so. But I told Robin that what the brother did or did not do with the PH after the fact had absolutely no bearing on Robin's generosity and consideration for the fallen Marine.

Rest in Peace Robin.