trying to save history HELP!

worlmark1

Hi guys,

I'm a college student I became really intrested in the coast artillery corps I been doing research on military post out here in the main land I found a base not far from where I live 6 years ago ever since I contacted veterans and did lots of research obtained grid maps and lots of photographs and documents but anyways I'm posting this here because im trying to save some of the last remaining ground structures that are in the area I did found a few remaining but its in danger due to modern expansion .well me and a buddy of mine found the base of a observation post on a cliff overlooking the pacific ocean we mostly cleaned up the weeds and top soil on it and took pictures and notes what want to do is make a information board with the base camp history with historical photographs and post it next to the structure and maybe volunteer ome of my time to dress up in period correct uniforms and educate the public on the areas military past the only problem is I can't seem on where to start who to contact for.permission and how to plan things put to make it happen? any help ? Ideas ? Will really help me get thing's rolling thank you guys and god bless :)

...only problem is I can't seem on where to start who to contact for.permission and how to plan things put to make it happen?

The key question is "Who owns the land?"

They are the ones who with the power to decide if you can post a sign there.

In some areas there are also programs where identification signs are placed alongside the road adjacent to an area of historic interest. Generally these are done by state government. In California, for instance, we have the State Office of Historic Preservation - http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1066 - which "is responsible for administering federally and state mandated historic preservation programs to further the identification, evaluation, registration and protection of California's irreplaceable archaeological and historical resources..."

In other states, contact your local elected state legislator (assembly member, state senator, state representative, etc.) to find the similar agency for your state.

AAF_Collection

Worlmark1,While I'm in the UK what you are trying to achieve sounds very familiar. I don't know how military history is viewed where you are,but based on my experiences of trying to get former military sites preserved in the UK here's what I would suggest.

1. As Bob says start with finding out who owns the property,but take care how you approach them. I've dealt with landowners who as soon as interest is expressed in historic features on their property,demolish them.

2. Does your county/state have an archaeologist responsible for historic sites in the area? if so talk to them,find out what they know of the site,and try to gauge their interest in seeing it preserved/military history in general.

3. Does your area have a lot in the way of tourism? could the site become an attraction and as such attract tourist Dollars into the area? this might help in getting it preserved.

Unfortunately the bottom line is often money,if the developers have their eyes on the land it could be a struggle to get anything preserved,but if a developer already owns it I would advise against getting their back up(not always easy!).as some do have a sense of history,if you work with them you might just get the information panels funded as part of the development.

Good Luck!

Matt.

Yes there tourist and college students in the area I had many encounters with people asking me what are the structures in the area.? And what were their purpose before? I gladly show them around explain to them the historical past and they get surprised and don't even realize such military operations took place in the area . We owe it too our Vets we can't forget the past.

I suggest, as well as trying to find out who owns the land (which should not be too hard if you go tot he country or town or whatever clerk's office and ask).. is call the local newspaper and ask about if they would be interested in a story on it. Memorial day is coming- papers ALWAYS need stuff to print. Local papers even more so. You never know who will read it and contact you (with a trunk full of camp material!) Just be prepared to be misquoted about 25% of the time, and have them get a few key facts wrong.

Find out if your state has a Nat Guard museum- which technically is supposed to be interested in everything military in the state. which they may or may not be.

and finally- GOOD FOR YOU taking an interest in something no one else has. The CAC has a really interesting history and it is only through people who strike out on new directions that we preserve more of our past.

agate hunter

Worlmark1 where is this location you're looking to preserve? California, OR or WA? I'm very familiar with the Coast Arty goings on in Oregon and WA but not so much California. My main area of focus is Fort Stevens, Oregon. I don't know if you're on Facebook but there's a group on there called Coast Artillery with knowledgable fellas that know a lot about Coast Arty that I'm sure would help you.

Agate hunter I'm trying to preserve what's left of Camp Callan in La Jolla, California it was a Replacement training center for Draftees part of the Coast Artillery in WWII . I located some stilts and concrete bases for barracks and a observation post all of it is in city property except for one is in UCSD property grounds. I have Two volunteers both Reenactors that been helping me for the last 3 year's .

Check your county's web site; http://sdpublic.sdcounty.ca.gov/your-county-government/services/ There you can look at the GIS areial maps of the property. It should give legal owners basic info and the property boundry. You might even see features of the area not visable from the ground. The site will also give you contacts with all your city services. I would check in with the parks and rec departments director and explain your intent. They may be willing to help or give ideas for funding; we use Boy Scout volunteers to maintain city property who in turn earn merit badges for their services. To drum up awearness of the site, address you city aldermen or mayor. Have the local paper do a story on your efforts. Find out if there is a preservation society in your area. It's not easy, but if you get all your ducks lined up, you could petition to have the area declared a historical site on a state or even federal level. Good luck and stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Agate hunter,

I'm not trying to hijack the post but, in a related topic, you note in your entry that you are familiar with coastal artilleries in Washington state. My grandfather spent a good part of WWII stationed there with the coastal artillery before shipping out late war to the Pacific. Can you tell me where might I find information about that? I'm going from memory, but I think at that time he was part of the 14th Coastal Artillery. Sorry if my post is out of order, but upon seeing that you know about this, I had to ask. Thank you - Jon.