National WWI Museum in Kansas City -- Shoulder Patches

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brain Cramp!

I forget this unit, but am thinking it is a African-American unit. I am sure someone can help here.

369th Infantry Regiment, also known as the "Harlem Hellfighters"

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 4 months later...

I am not sure what this is. Is it a Trench Mortar patch?

Yes You are correct Trench Mortar patch and a very nice, looks like it is on black velvet with bullion highlighting. Thanks for the pictures, I will have to get to the museum soon.

John

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have seen this ID'd as Army Ambulance Service in Italy.

G

The difference would be what's stitched on the book being held by the Lion of St. Mark. The Ambulance service had "AAS" while the 332 IR had "332" but both had the same basic design.

-- Jon

In memory of Dr. Leo P. Krall, USPHS
USS Uniontown (PF-65)

Interested in uniforms / groupings from Massachusetts and New England veterans

(particularly 26th "Yankee" Division), and original propaganda leaflets from WWI and WWII.

Correct! Come to think of it, I saw one once with AAS on the SSI and Air Corps collar discs -- it was ID'd as Army Air Service -- it Italy. A real rarey! I am pretty sure someone had his leg lulled on that one.

G

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 9 months later...

I'm glad you captured all of that history in one place. Liberty Memorial really is a great place and museum to visit. Well done, and come on back soon!

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

• 2 years later...

89th ID

Think I've greased up their display windows pining over this one a couple times.

"The cold blooded historian goes mousing among old letters and he finds that these early heroes were men and women, of like frailties with ourselves. But the glory of heroism is not that angels come down to mingle in the affairs of men, but that common men and women, when the occasion demands, can rise to such sublime heights of heroism and self sacrifice." Cordley, Richard. A History of Lawrence, Kansas: From the First Settlement to the Close of the Rebellion. 1895.

Handwritten/Research Material, Photography, Documents, Maps, Rare Books, Historica.

Complete Collections Purchased.

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• 3 years later...

Excellent camera work. Thank you! This is "Don't Miss Museum" if you're in K.C.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

• 4 months later...

df83ccd092e27d178f44c11a72ffed38.jpg
While not a patch, I donated a shaving set just like this one to that museum when I lived in Kansas City. It is on display in the doughboys knapsack. I also donated some other items but, don’t know if they are displayed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk