*** Hand-made 66th Division Patch ***

General Apathy

General Apathy

post-344-0-47636500-1365337971.jpg

I attended a small militaria show today in the town hall at St. Mere Eglise, Normandy, France where I purchased these two patches a hand-made 66th Division, and a straight edged white-back 91st Division patch.

does anyone else have any information or anything similar to the 66th patch, the red tongue and the yellow surround once had a raised surface on them which is still evident closer to the black felt face.

lewis

General Apathy

post-344-0-19275100-1365338094.jpg

The mimeograph paper backing is obvious, but note the black thread name sewn horizontally across the centre, it has thread holes around the outside and spots of glue where it has been attached to a page or in a book at sometime.

lewis

General Apathy

The 66th Division suffered terribly before they even got into combat as you can see in this wikipedia statement, from the wikipedia site. The names of all these men are to be found on the wall of remembrance at the Omaha beach cemetery, I believe the bodies were never recovered for burial.

" The three regiments of the 66th Infantry Division arrived in England, 26 November 1944, and the remainder of the Division, 12 December 1944, training until 24 December 1944 when the Division crossed the English Channel to Cherbourg on two Belgian steamships, the Chesire and the Leopoldville. A German torpedo ripped into the transport Leopoldville just 5 miles from its destination of Cherbourg, and 14 officers and 748 enlisted men were lost. "

http://en.wikipedia...._(United_States)

lewis

That 66th is a very interesting patch Ken. Have you tried making sense of the "newsprint" on the back? Might contain a pointer, if you know what I mean?

General Apathy

That 66th is a very interesting patch Ken. Have you tried making sense of the "newsprint" on the back? Might contain a pointer, if you know what I mean?

Hi Ian, the very top word is education, student is mentioned twice in the body of the text, also the words valuable, preparatory, which leads me to think that it's paperwork laying out the expectations required of a student attending an educational facility of some sorts, college, university, military school

lewis

Well, as more guys log-in, maybe some of the big-hitters among the patch collectors will add a comment or two?

O.K., I will throw out my .2 cents! Personally I do not like it as an original WWII period piece and am not sure I like it as a WWI piece, but would lean that direction first as to the period made. That being said, it does not make me warm and fuzzy inside. Let the "hammering" on my opinion begin! :)

Patchcollector

But didn't the WW1 era 66th patch feature a full-size Panther?

There were 2 designs,the full view and the head only view.The full view was the earlier version.

There were 2 designs,the full view and the head only view.The full view was the earlier version.

Fair enough. So how do you rate this one?

I will voice my opinion and give it thumbs down.I do not like the way its constructed or the way it was put together.I have owned thousands of hand made insignias and if this is real its the most amateurish one I have ever seen.Scotty

Patchcollector

Fair enough. So how do you rate this one?

I'm no expert,but I concur with Tex,something looks odd about this.Even if it does turn out to be authentic,that sure is one anemic looking Panther!

Maybe it would gum someone to death! :P

Uniforms of the Day

I also concur with Tex. I blew this up to allow pretty close scrutiny. The edges of the applied pieces and other details give me an impression of very recently pieced together. This would be a WWII era, 2nd style design. So, if unused, it may not exhibit much age deterioration. But, it does look 'hot off the press' to me.

Gentlemen: Ken is currently experiencing probs with his PC so is unable to respond at present, but obviously will do so in due course. Thank you.