Various Unidentified Ribbons

kklinejr

If you guys wouldn't mind humoring me, this is a stack of ribbons I have yet to ID from a collection of 300 I purchased awhile back. Do any of these ribbons ring a bell with you? I just realized that row two (from top) ribbon 3 (second to right) is the ROTC Military profciency award. Any other ideas? (seven rows total, some have pinback, top row center has Korean war era heavy clutchback).

Ken

post-99-1168912016.jpg

I spotted at least one Civil Air Patrol ribbon in there (thrid one up from the bottom on the extreme right looks like the Grover Loening Award), and several look like State Guard and/or National Guard ribbons.

I spotted at least one Civil Air Patrol ribbon in there (third one up from the bottom on the extreme right looks like the Grover Loening Award), and several look like State Guard and/or National Guard ribbons.

Thanks for the websites and tips, guys. 10 were found...16 to go.

Row 1 #1 (from left ) -Chennault Trophy (AFROTC)

Row 2 #3- Military Proficiency Award (AROTC)

Row 3 #3 - Good Conduct (JAROTC)

Row 4 #3- Cadet Humanitarian Award (AFJROTC), #4 - Divisional Encampment Ribbon (Young Marines)

Row 5 #4 - #3 AROTC (Old Style Ribbon- still tracing name), Physical Fitness Ribbon (Young Marines)

Row 6 #1 Regional Commander Academic Award (JAROTC), #2 Daughters of the American Colonists Award

Row 7 #2 Leadership Education Training Service (JARTOC), #4 Good Conduct First Award (Old Style)

Several also look like ribbons used by the Coast Guard Auxilliary...you can check their ribbons out on various websites.

Thanks for the websites and tips, guys. 10 were found...16 to go.

Row 1 #1 (from left ) -Chennault Trophy (AFROTC)

Row 2 #3- Military Proficiency Award (AROTC)

Row 3 #3 - Good Conduct (JAROTC)

Row 4 #3- Cadet Humanitarian Award (AFJROTC), #4 - Divisional Encampment Ribbon (Young Marines)

Row 5 #4 - #3 AROTC (Old Style Ribbon- still tracing name), Physical Fitness Ribbon (Young Marines)

Row 6 #1 Regional Commander Academic Award (JAROTC), #2 Daughters of the American Colonists Award

Row 7 #2 Leadership Education Training Service (JARTOC), #4 Good Conduct First Award (Old Style)

• 2 weeks later...

The top row middle one (white/green) looks like one of the type awarded at military schools. I have a white/red one I got a long time ago from a friend who went to military school. Some of your other ribbons might be of that type also.

• 1 year later...

Ken...Were you ever able to ID the remaining ribbons? 7th row #1 is one I've been trying to ID for months now. Any luck?

~Take care,

Dave

Ken...Were you ever able to ID the remaining ribbons? 7th row #1 is one I've been trying to ID for months now. Any luck?

~Take care,

Dave

Sorry, Dave. I never found that one and ended up giving it to my son for his collection. I'll give a look for the ID.

Ken

Bottom row, left end is the old style CAP Cadet Recruiter ribbon.

If you can ever get a copy of Greg Ogletree's book on state military ribbons and medals, it is a great investment for identifing some of these ribbons. You will find that many ribbons serve multiple duty with different state and national organizations, including some that are used by the Armed Forces!

All National Guard (by state),and state guards organizations have their own sets of awards. Ditto of course all ROTC classifications, veterans organizations, military auxiliary organizations (such as Civil Air Patrol & the USCG Aux.) and to add more confusion, heritage and fraternial organizations use ribbons. (Holy mackeral, what a mess!)

Besides the book mentioned above, I have a 2" thick 3-ring binder that's full of old ribbon charts (cut-up to fit 8 1/2" x 11" pages), sketches, xerox copies, ect. of ribbon identification. With all that, I've still got a couple dozen unidentified ribbons. :blink:

The right-most ribbon on the second row (light blue/green/tan) is the Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal for the Armed Forces.... The Light Blue Ribbons with 2, 3 and 4 green stripes are USCG Reserve ribbons....

-Ski