One soldier - war trophies from all the Axis

mvmhm

Great grouping, its always amazing what still comes from families. You should also help the family apply for the French Legion D'Honneur for this soldier. He earned it and it can be done for free through the French Consulate, it takes about a year though... Scott.

I'll see if they want to do that...they live about 7 hours from here, so email is our main commo....

Mark sends

• 1 month later...

Who knows why....maybe he had other weapons and over time they were broken or ???? His sons mentioned they had played with hats, helmets, etc as kids and eventually lost them......

Mark sends

• 2 months later...
USCapturephotos

Have you seen the collection point photos taken in many towns in villages where the Germans were ordered to pile up all contraband weapons, etc and the GI's often separated bolts into one pile and rifles in another? Maybe the vet grabbed some of those bolts as an afterthought. I have several snapshots of these piles in my collection as well as a small series of shots of a smiling GI winding up to swing a rifle against a tree breaking the stock...then him smiling holding both parts in hand.

Paul

Have you seen the collection point photos taken in many towns in villages where the Germans were ordered to pile up all contraband weapons, etc and the GI's often separated bolts into one pile and rifles in another? Maybe the vet grabbed some of those bolts as an afterthought. I have several snapshots of these piles in my collection as well as a small series of shots of a smiling GI winding up to swing a rifle against a tree breaking the stock...then him smiling holding both parts in hand.

Paul

I remember when I was a kid in the 50's I saw an article that showed a photo of a huge pile of German helmets in Oregon. Since I was only about 8 years old at the time, I wrote President Eisenhower asking if I could please have one of them...Stupid Kid!