Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Ginnis Schwab

The Rookie

Thanks to a good friend and fellow forum member I was able to pick up this awesome uniform. I have not found alot of information on him of yet , but his death was not very long ago . He passed September 30 , 2012 at the age of 90. In his obiyuary it said during WW2 he flew 35 missions to Germany as a bomber pilot. After the war he attended The University of Illinois and got a degree in engineering . But he loved flying so much that he returned to the Air Force in 1947. He ended a 30 year carear in 1970. From the age of 45 -82 he would run 5 miles daily .... then from 82 until the time of his final illness he walked over 1 mile daily. Any other information anybody could add would be greatly appriciated.

Photo617_zps22349c04.jpg

Photo616_zps84046757.jpg

CNY Militaria

Wow, I hope I can be that active at his age. Especially after such a long military career as shown by his service ribbons.

Very nice find!

Below is a link to his findagrave memorial which includes a few photos of Schwab as well as a photo of his gravemarker:

http://www.findagrav...1&GRid=98201448&

Not much on Ancestry. Below is his record from SSDI:

post-29885-0-71891200-1365431764.jpg

I was also able to find a Passenger Manifest detailing his arrival in NY on 26 April 1945 (I imagine for discharge?).

Ship name was the Ile de France and it provides his rank and ASN. I'm fairly certain it is him as the final destination noted on the manifest is Illinois, which correlates with his nativity on the enlistment, Findagrave and SSDI records.

post-29885-0-51421200-1365431910.jpg