INDIANA'S PRIVATELY AWARDED RIOT MEDAL-1894

BEAST

Ludwigh1980s thread on Colorado strike medals motivated me to post this Indiana version. The "Roby RIot" medal is a bit unusual as it was awarded privately, not by any government. Several years ago, there was an OMSA article by another Hoosier, Charles A. Hunter, which provided a good history of this medal. Here is a brief summary of his article

In 1893, three regiments of Infantry and one battery of artillery from the Indiana Legion (forerunner of the National Guard) were mobilized and sent to Roby, Indiana to prevent rioting due to prizefights that were to be held there. In order to thank the soldiers who were deployed, the Roby family, a well to due family in Chicago, commissioned medals to be struck. However, in 1894, railroad workers went on strike through out the state and most of the companies had to be mobilized. Mrs. Roby decided to expand the design of these medals and award them to every member of the Indiana Legion that took part in keeping the peace. Mrs. Roby then traveled through out the state presenting the medals to the men. Correspondence shows that the design and distribution of these medals were known by the Governor, whose face appears on the reverse of the medal. There are several news stories describing Mrs. Roby coming to the formation to present the medal.

The obverse of mine has the State seal and a ladder the has a stand of arms, "RIOTS 1894" & "ROBY" while in Hunter's article he states that the the State Seal is the reverse.

post-203-0-28912100-1365281349.jpeg

On the reverse is Governor Claude Matthews, Indiana's sitting governor at the time.

post-203-0-49915500-1365282275.jpeg

There are several photos showing members of the Indiana Legion wearing this award. Many of these appear in the unit histories printed after the Spanish-American war.

Here is an example of a vet from Fort Wayne.

post-203-0-68110700-1365282514.jpeg

Please feel free to post your examples here, and if you have updated information, please post that also.

ludwigh1980

Neat medal! These "Strike" medals are often overlooked by the collector base at large, except save a few local specific scholars. I believe Illinois also issued a strike medal for the huge Pullman (Railcar) strike of 1894. I find them quite interesting coming from a business management background and their association to labor issues of the late 19th, early 20th century. This history is almost all but forgotten to the public. In Colorado it came close to a civil war. Thanks for posting.

• 2 years later...

Here are a couple of new bits of information.

I found a few interviews with Mrs. Roby who presented the medals to Indiana Legion. In an 1894 interview, she mentions that these were designed by "Childs of Chicago."

An 1895 interview states that "She has had the medals cast from a cannon captured from the rebels during the war..."

BigJohn#3RD

Very interesting medals I never heard and think they deserve a place here. Thanks for posting!

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing this thread back to ask a question. After looking at several photos of these medals being worn, it appears to me that the Governor's face should be the obverse of the medal and the state seal the reverse. You can clearly see the face of the governor in the photo that I posted above. Is there any reason that I shouldn't switch it back?

If I do turn it around, any hints on how to remove the pendant without messing up the ring?

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm glad I procrastinate!

Never got around to moving the pendent and today I found this drawing and article of the medal from a February 1895 issue of the Indianapolis News.

post-203-0-23996600-1449521029.jpg

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2015 at 8:05 AM, BEAST said:

I'm bringing this thread back to ask a question. After looking at several photos of these medals being worn, it appears to me that the Governor's face should be the obverse of the medal and the state seal the reverse. You can clearly see the face of the governor in the photo that I posted above. Is there any reason that I shouldn't switch it back?

If I do turn it around, any hints on how to remove the pendant without messing up the ring?

Re-reading through this thread, I thought I would bring up an anecdote concerning the medal.  From what I have read in the accounts of this medal, Mrs. Roby was not a big fan of Governor Matthews and hence, his face is on the reverse.  Many members of the National Guard turned their medal around to show support for the Governor such as the officer pictured earlier in this thread.

MottTheHoople
10 hours ago, BEAST said:

Re-reading through this thread, I thought I would bring up an anecdote concerning the medal.  From what I have read in the accounts of this medal, Mrs. Roby was not a big fan of Governor Matthews and hence, his face is on the reverse.  Many members of the National Guard turned their medal around to show support for the Governor such as the officer pictured earlier in this thread.

That is actually really funny! I figured having his face on there at all would be an honor but now that I know the back story I really appreciate the subtle insult.