WW2 B-24 gunner KIA telegram

Vincennes

Picked this up at the flea market today. From my preliminary research here is the story.

SSG Robert W Adkins (service # 38469484) was a gunner (various sources list him as a Right Waist Gunner, Tail Gunner, or Nose Gunner) on a B-24 stationed at Buckenham, England with the 453rd Bomb Group, 734th. Bomb Squadron. On Feb. 9, 1945 he was returning from a mission in B-24J 42-50703 (Worry Bird) which had bombed the railroad marshalling yards at Magdeburg. As they were coming in for a landing, his ship & that of Lt Glass collided just off the runway...Lt Glass coming in long and high with an engine out and Lt Rollins ship with Adkins on a normal approach. The lower plane, piloted by Lt. Rollins, nosed down sharply, its vertical stabilizer torn away. The other Lib, re-circled the pattern with two engines gone and somewhat battered from the collision and landed sucessfully. Rollins’ plane smashed hard into the turf, short of the runway. It burst into flames immediately. All eleven men aboard Lt. Rollins’ plane were killed in the crash. Crew: P Robert O Rollins; CP Earl E Check; Nav Max E Stump; Eng Eldridge W Allburn Jr; Radio John P Eubank Jr; RWG Robert W Adkins; LWG Donald E Robertson; NTG James E Sharp; TG Willi L Strabuck; Gun. Edward L Eaker; RCM op Edward T Scine.

Paul

post-2319-0-41163400-1365278203.jpg

I don't ever want to know the feeling of dread that families felt when the Western Union courier knocked at the door. Horrible way to be notified.

I don't ever want to know the feeling of dread that families felt when the Western Union courier knocked at the door. Horrible way to be notified.

Agreed. Every time I see one of these I get the chills.