US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts

dag

Two great books.  Be sure to ignore the price values in the Albert's book.  Those were a long time ago.  Also, there are some changes.  One is the button attributed to Transylvania University is actually Norfolk Military Academy considered to be a Confederate button.

IMG_E2286.JPG.00acea1cab419fe3b52b210e8c848157.JPG

2 hours ago, LadyofDoune said:

The button shown is a fashion button copy of a British military button. You can tell by the indistinct artwork, the shank, the lack of a backmark, and the general way it is made.

Thank you! I wasn't able to find it at all!

21 hours ago, LadyofDoune said:

The button shown is a fashion button copy of a British military button. You can tell by the indistinct artwork, the shank, the lack of a backmark, and the general way it is made.

Concur. It appears to be a fashion copy of The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Attached is my button from that British (Scottish) regiment.

R402.jpg.35b961b4694e93584f2ba26b15273178.jpg

21 hours ago, mds308 said:

Two great books.  ...

IMG_E2286.JPG.00acea1cab419fe3b52b210e8c848157.JPG

Yes, great books - I use them both VERY often!! But yes, Albert's book is a little out-dated, and a few (very few) errors. 

Hi again, I found a whole bunch more! I was able to identify about a dozen from WW1. There's a handful that are still eluding me.

One is a copper 2 piece with just the number 9. on the front and what I believe is EXTRA FEIN on the back spaced by 2 diamonds.

The second is a brass or gold colored single piece with what looks like a suit of armor helmet and chest piece. The back doesn't have a mark, but has an unusual 4 way ring/cage. 

The other 4 are all lighter weight 2 piece.

20210102_140511.jpg

20210102_140541.jpg

20210102_140638.jpg

20210102_140647.jpg

20210102_140702.jpg

20210102_140959.jpg

• 9 months later...

After looking at collections of US Naval buttons on this site and many typical images elsewhere, I'm no closer to learning the origin of two apparently very old buttons a family member has asked me to investigate.  I find that most buttons connected to the US Navy feature some image of an eagle.  Some may include an anchor, and a few combine both figures.

What I've been loaned to research is a large button and a smaller one that both have the same design, a background of two crossed cannon with a typical stylized anchor in the fore.  At the bottom of each are the initials "USED."

The buttons appear to be silver, cast as a solid, one piece with a loop attached to the back.  The larger one is quite heavy and a wool jacket with several in place would have been quite cumbersome. 

My approach to what seemed to be an online PR source for the Corps of Engineers has not been answered.  So I turned to check this site and found a strong interest in military buttons.  

I can, of course, prepare images of the buttons if anyone is interested in pursuing this curious mystery.       

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 11:44 PM, UFOnaut said:

After looking at collections of US Naval buttons on this site and many typical images elsewhere, I'm no closer to learning the origin of two apparently very old buttons a family member has asked me to investigate.  I find that most buttons connected to the US Navy feature some image of an eagle.  Some may include an anchor, and a few combine both figures.

What I've been loaned to research is a large button and a smaller one that both have the same design, a background of two crossed cannon with a typical stylized anchor in the fore.  At the bottom of each are the initials "USED."

The buttons appear to be silver, cast as a solid, one piece with a loop attached to the back.  The larger one is quite heavy and a wool jacket with several in place would have been quite cumbersome. 

My approach to what seemed to be an online PR source for the Corps of Engineers has not been answered.  So I turned to check this site and found a strong interest in military buttons.  

I can, of course, prepare images of the buttons if anyone is interested in pursuing this curious mystery.       

Just seeing your post - don't get here as often as I used to. I am the originator of this chain of posts regarding military buttons.

I have a rather large collection of US Navy Buttons and do not recognize what you describe, but would love to see a picture of front & back. If it is a true issued military buttons, maybe I can help. But could be a custom made personal button, or maybe foreign. Or it might be a Livery button.

David

On 10/4/2021 at 9:44 PM, UFOnaut said:

David--

Thank you very much for the reply.  Because my continued searching on the internet has not been fruitful.  But I've come to suspect that the "ED" part of the letter may relate to an early "engineering depart" of our early government.

I shall remove the buttons again from their little, matchbox container and take several of images with my camera or phone and post them for you. 

Harv

These sound like French Naval Artillery.  They are not American.  When you say "at the bottom of each"  are you referring to letters on the button itself?  Also a picture of the back of the button is necessary for identification.  

• 2 months later...

One is a copper 2 piece with just the number 9. on the front and what I believe is EXTRA FEIN on the back spaced by 2 diamonds.

The second is a brass or gold colored single piece with what looks like a suit of armor helmet and chest piece. The back doesn't have a mark, but has an unusual 4 way ring/cage. 

Ravenwolven

four of those six buttons are newer sport coat type buttons.  The one with the bird cage shank is interesting.  I was told that this was common for French late 18th century but not sure when they stopped using this type of shank.  I have two French militia Rev War buttons with this type of back.   The number 9 reminds me of European like perhaps French or German.  I wish I could tell you more.  

• 10 months later...
Dmitry the Great
On 4/6/2013 at 6:23 AM, dag said:

Prior to the 1830’s, US Navy buttons were of a one-piece design, and were flat or slightly convex. They were beautiful buttons, most had the familiar eagle & anchor, some of the earlier ones had only an anchor. Some were American made, but there were many beautiful British made buttons too. (source: Record Of American Uniform And Historical Buttons, by Alphaeus H. Albert)

The ones pictured are from my collection (with Albert’s reference number under); with a close-up of one of my favorites (it was hard to pick just one…).

post-11058-0-00582000-1365243807.jpg

post-11058-0-46108500-1365243816.jpg

I don't have the Albert book. What are the dates he ascribes to the NA-36, 37, 41-1, other buttons of this type, with an oval shield containing the fouled anchor?

Than you! Also, please recommend a source for dating early USN buttons (pre-CW).

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
S.ChrisKelly

Images as follows:

1) left side, Eastern Air Lines cap button, circa post - 1965; right side, stylized general aviation cap button.

2) reverses of above buttons.

3) close-up, reverse of the right side (stylized general aviation) button.

Made by same manufacturer for civil/commercial pilots' uniform caps...  Was available from sources like Sporty's Pilot Shop in the 1970s and 1980s.

20230403_091606.jpg

20230403_091655.jpg

20230403_091512.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

Images for reference:

1) top row, cuff or vest button, original,  Grand Army of the Republic, circa late 19th century; center row, cuff or vest buttons, United Confederate Veterans, circa late 19th century; bottom row, modern reproductions, (left) United Confederate Veterans, (right) Sons of Confederate Veterans.

2) reverses of above buttons.

20230403_094506.jpg

20230403_094541.jpg

S.ChrisKelly

In reference to post#89, a few more images of civilian/commercial stylized buttons, often mistaken for military buttons:

buttons (1).png

buttons (2).jpg

• 9 months later...