Scabbard & Blade

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann

Here is a photo of a Univ. of Wisc. R.O.T.C. cadet wearing a Scabbard & Blade badge suspended on a ribbon by two chains. Anyone know if this was just a membership badge or an award of some kind? Thanks, Fred

post-591-0-58099800-1365121176.jpg

From Wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabbard_and_Blade

Scabbard and Blade is a college military honor society founded at the University of Wisconsin in 1904. Although membership is open to R.O.T.C. cadets and midshipmen of all military services, the society is modeled after the U.S. Army and its chapters are called companies and are organized into regiments in order of their establishment. Originally founded as a men's organization, it is now co-educational.

Scabbard and Blade is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies, a coordinating and certification organization for collegiate honor societies.

The national headquarters is located at Stillwater, Oklahoma.

The National Society of Scabbard and Blade was founded during the school year 1904-1905 at the University of Wisconsin by five senior officers in the cadet corps. The five founders of Scabbard and Blade were Leo M. Cook, Albert W. Foster, Victor R. Griggs, Charles A. Taylor, and Harold K. Weld.

From the wisdom of these five founders came the establishment of this lasting society which is recognized both locally and nationally as an organization of high prestige and ideals.

The Society has become inactive on two occasions. These were during World War I and World War II, when there were no courses of military training in universities and colleges because every able bodied man was in the service. The first National Convention was held on May 11, 1906, at Madison, Wisconsin, and was attended by representatives of the four Companies which then comprised the Society. Conventions were held annually until April 1916, after which no convention was held until February 1920. This inactivity was due to World War I. Following the 1920 meeting, conventions were held every two years. This practice continued until 1940 when war interrupted the progress of the Society and all companies were directed by General Order to bring their affairs to a close. In November 1947, after seventy companies had been reactivated, a convention was called.

Allan

Fred Borgmann

Thanks Allan, I read the Wiki too. So what is the badge he is wearing? A membership badge?

Sorry Fred, what he is wearing is a membership medal. Today, Scabbard and Blade members wear a ribbon with a red and blue horizontal stripe and bronze stars affixed across the bar from left to right. While Scabbard and Blade are considered to be an honor fraternity for ROTC, I don't recall us ever having any meetings. It was just another ribbon to wear until commissioning.

Allan

Fred Borgmann

Thanks Allan! It is great to learn this from an actual member. By the way there is a good (but high priced) seller on ebay who is continually offering S&B lapel buttons in gold with 5 rose color stones.

The pendant is very finely struck in silver gilt, the suspension ribbon is red, split-wrap broach with open catch. The reverse is impressed "STERLING" at the 6 o'clock position. The member's name and lettered company are hand engraved on the flat reverse. You can't see it in this photo but the scabbard of the saber which runs from top left to bottom right has five stars on it which must relate to the five bronze stars on the "modern" ribbon.

As an aside, the modern ribbon has been basically unchanged for many, many years. I have two WWII officer groups in my collection which have the same ribbon that I had.

Allan