Operation Home Coming Returnee's Jacket

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

This is one of the jackets that was issue by the North Vietnamese when the POW's were released in 1973. It is more grey in color then it looks in the photos.

This particular jacket is named to a F-4 pilot, and he had the Homecoming patch sewn to the jacket upon his return.

pow1.jpg

pow2.jpg

RustyCanteen

Very nice!

Did the owner wear it after he returned to the US, or was it just a point of pride to sew the patch on?

vintageproductions

Not sure.

I have seen some photos after they POW's left the Philippines that some of the jackets have the patch sewn on them by then.

vintageproductions

Now I just need the shoes and the overnight bag the NVN gave each guy.

firefighter

HOLY COW!!! That is soooo cool.I would have been happy with just the patch.I wonder how many of the guys kept the shoes or anything the NVN's gave them?

vintageproductions

Most of the returnees that still have their stuff, have the whole set. It's unusual to see them just have one piece.

firefighter

Most of the returnees that still have their stuff, have the whole set. It's unusual to see them just have one piece.

Would love to see a whole group.

The Naval aviation Museum in Pensacola has a great display on these types of items. I will try to remember to take a few photos next time I go down there.

Great piece Bob. To use the word " rare " is understated. I have a B-10 flight jacket worn by a fighter pilot in Stalag Luft 1 with the markings painted on it that the German's required, and it is one of my favorite items.

Kurt

vintageproductions

Kurt-Thanks. It is one of my favorite pieces. A few years ago I put it out for sale, and then realized I really didn't want to sell it, so it got put away in a showcase, and when I took the above photo, it was the first time it had been out in a long time.

You can't put a dollar value on something like this. Just imagine the owner wearing this as he stands on the tarmac in Hanoi, watching an American C-141 roll up to take him home. This is why we collect.

vintageproductions

well Robin, you will have to come up to the showroom one day with Bob and see it in person.....

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...