PA National Guard Marksman Badge & Uniform - Time Period Question

Dave

All:

I just got this group in...I have the guy's uniform as well and will post pics of that late today or tomorrow. However, I'm curious about this marksman badge. It's for a 2nd Class Marksman, National Guard of Pennsylvania ("NGP"). It has a 17 year bar, and a loose 14 year bar as well. It has the guy's name on the box and the maker.

My question - does anyone know when this badge dates from? I'm guessing 1880s? I _think_ the veteran might have been a Civil War vet, but I think the rest of the items date from the 1880s or 1890s.

Any help is appreciated - this is by far not my area of expertise!

Dave

PANATGUARD.JPG

Dave-

Can you provide a photo of the reverse? The type of pinback may help in giving a better sense of age. Davison did manufacture WW1 medals and those are found with boxes having a different address (i.e., 13th St). Your box with the "Sansom St" address would be earlier.

My initial guess would be very late 1800's based on that chocolate-colored metal.

Perhaps someone else has one in a group with a better timeline of the vet's period of service.

Kurt

Dave-

Can you provide a photo of the reverse? The type of pinback may help in giving a better sense of age. Davison did manufacture WW1 medals and those are found with boxes having a different address (i.e., 13th St). Your box with the "Sansom St" address would be earlier.

My initial guess would be very late 1800's based on that chocolate-colored metal.

Perhaps someone else has one in a group with a better timeline of the vet's period of service.

Kurt

Kurt-

Thanks! I felt so out of my element my brain froze and I didn't even bother getting a shot of the reverse! I'll do that and get some photos of the rest of the group as well.

Thanks!

Dave

One more thing that thoroughly confuses me...PA has a digital archive with their CW and NG (through 1921) personnel in it. But there's no trace of an Agar or Ager who was a musician. Or even one that served that would fit the uniform and the medal. Very strange...

Dave-

I'm not certain, but I'm still thinking very late 1800's. Most Penn NG shooting medals are encountered frequently and are common. However, I've never seen the one you have. Great grouping.

Kurt

Dave-

I'm not certain, but I'm still thinking very late 1800's. Most Penn NG shooting medals are encountered frequently and are common. However, I've never seen the one you have. Great grouping.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt! Does the uniform look late 1880s as well? I'm definitely out of my element with this one!

You have a 10 Year Award Type II according to "Marksman Awards of the National Guard of Pennsylvania, 1878-1921" This version of the was issued from 1903 to 1913. I think the individual and unit photo are from the late 1880s, before the NGP would have gotten their M1895 caps. My personal guess on the coat is with 4 service stripes on the sleeve and that it is a 5 button sack coat as opposed to an M1902 that it is from 1900 to 1905. Most NGP units got M1902 coats in 1906.

Great Grouping! Any idea on the unit number? Location in PA? I have several items from a local band in a place called OIl City, that joined the 16th en masse, during Span Am. Jack.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, newbie here. While helping out a friend we have come across some military memorabilia resulting in questions. Does the P.N.G. have a record of Marksman Badge recipients? 1ST Class Marksman was awarded in 1904 & 1905. How does one determine which unit the person was a part of.