Unknown Vietnam river boat unit

Bob Hudson

I've been offered a small group of items which includes this plaque to a US Navy officer, but I cannot find anything about the unit COS ELOT THREE but I assume it is a Vietnamese unit to which he was an adviser.

Any ideas?

thanks...

elot.jpg

Coastal Unit? This boat looks more Sea going than River. If the second acronym was FLOT I would say Coastal Flotilla 3. But ELOT it is a bit tougher.

In looking at websites related to RVN coastal patrols I come across "Coastal Security Service (CSS)" and "Operations Services" operating coastal patrol craft.

Coastal Flotilla 3 makes more sense.....

That's it - COSFLOT 3 of the VNN. Here's a repro adviser patch:

cosflot3patch.jpg

And an enlargment of the boat on the plaque.

elot2.jpg

I'm thinking it's a typo and is suppose to be COS(Coastal) FLOT(Flotilla) 3.The ship has South Vietnam flags and I'm guessing it's this boat, RVNS Lê Ngọc Ẩn (HQ-712) 21 February 1970 USCGC Point Jefferson (WPB-82306) Scrapped.[84

That's it! Hull number 712 and based at Cat Lo which is where various online posters say COSTFLOT 3 was located.

This is from that wikipedia link:

"At the request of the United States Navy, in October 1965, she was alerted for service in Vietnam and assigned to Coast Guard Squadron One in support of Operation Market Time along with 8 other Point class cutters.[12][13] While the crew completed overseas training and weapons qualifications at Coast Guard Island and Camp Parks, California, Point Jefferson was loaded onto a merchant ship, and transported to Subic Bay, Philippines arriving in January 1966 where she was refit for combat service.[5] Shipyard modifications included installation of new single-sideband radio equipment, additional floodlights, small arms lockers, bunks, additional sound-powered phone circuits, and the addition of 4 M-2 machine guns. The original Oerlikon 20 mm cannon was replaced with a combination over-under 50 caliber machine gun/81mm trigger-fired mortar that had been developed by the Coast Guard for service in Vietnam.[4][5][14][15] For service in Vietnam, two officers were added to the crew complement to add seniority to the crew in the mission of interdicting vessels at sea....

After the crew of Point Jefferson trained a Vietnamese replacement crew, she was turned over to the Republic of Vietnam Navy as a part of the Vietnamization Program and recommissioned as RVNS Lê Ngọc Ẩn (HQ-712), 21 February 1970."

Steve Brannan

This boat was a Coast Guard WPB, 82' long. Was turned over to the South Vietnamese Navy in about 1970. Were used for Coast Patrol in Vietnam. Sometimes they went up the larger rivers. This officer must have been an advisor to the Vietnamese Navy after the boat was turned over.

post-1848-0-40504300-1365020623.jpg

Great looking plaque, even with the typo. :D

The far east proofreaders often missed their mark. I have a dish made in Japan in the 1950's for the officer's mess of the "5th Marins" :)

I missed this plaque from the same officer last week on eBay !

Do you recall how much it sold for?

RustyCanteen

This boat was a Coast Guard WPB, 82' long. Was turned over to the South Vietnamese Navy in about 1970. Were used for Coast Patrol in Vietnam. Sometimes they went up the larger rivers. This officer must have been an advisor to the Vietnamese Navy after the boat was turned over.

WPB.jpg

Definitely a WPB.

One source claims only 26 WPB's were deployed to VN for USCG use, not certain how many (all?) of them were transferred.

I missed this plaque from the same officer last week on eBay !

screenshot_62.jpg

I picked up the plaque with the boat today. The woman I bought it from used to be the next door neighbor of the officer named on the plaques./. I don't think she was the one who sold the plaque on ebay. I also got a set of mini medals which she says were also his. It has a Navy Good Conduct Medal so I'm thinking he was an enlisted man who was commissioned.

3.jpg

Here's a closeup of the hand-painted boat:

2.jpg

Some of the plaques and presentation pieces out of Vietnam are kind of tacky... that is a nice one. I like the level of detail on the painting. Nice item.

Using newspaperarchive.com I was able to confirm that he was indeed an enlisted man who got a commission, apparently in the 1960's. He enlisted in 1947. There was even a very short story about his being assigned to Coastal Flotilla Three:

berry1stclass.jpg

berrypromoted.jpg

berrynews.jpg

firefighter

Very cool.Nice to find info like that.You got a good one.I am a little jealous tho. :blush: Glad I could at least help you I.D. it.

Very cool.Nice to find info like that.You got a good one.I am a little jealous tho. :blush: Glad I could at least help you I.D. it.

Yes, thanks so much.

There were two sets of medals that came with the plaque and that I've confirmed he was enlisted, I'm sure they are his (again, I got these from a woman who had been his next door neighbor).

I decided to take some better photos of the plaque this morning and it looked like it needed to wiped off: well, it looks like it had 40 years of nicotine on it and it took several passes to clean it up. It does look better now:

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

That is some beautiful detail on the plaque (and great photos too).

The plaque has a few scratches, but that original painting of the boat is just too cool!