talon zipper

max0073

Hi,

I have been lucky enough to find a zipped USN blue deck jacket. However, the zipper is in bad condition and I would like to have it replaced by a new one.

I would like to know where it is possible to find NOS talon zipper of the 40s (with the D-shaped stoppers) ? I found an interesting website called mash-japan but the zippers I am interested in are sold out.

Thanks

Max

You could check with Vintage Productions, but I'm pretty sure all their zippers come from MASH.

Or you could just leave the zipper, it's not going anywhere.

Hi,

thanks for your message. Unfortunately the same I was interested in are sold out as well.

I think I will let it as it then unless I find a good one.

Do you have any idea where it is possible to find only the genuine pull tab by chance ?

Max

Keep your eye on ebay. I see people selling both the repro zippers from Japan and occasionally you will see someone selling an original there as well. Zippers are a funny thing to replace, I have done several on old jackets and they can range form quite simple to "oh my god, I'm on the verge of destroying this thing". If the jacket is just for display I might consider leaving it. But if you really need it replaced then I would recommend NOT going with an original tooth set as they are usually very delicate 70 years on. I have done ones where I use new teeth and will fit the original pull back on to the zip. Though this method will not have the top stops you are looking for and will also not have that time worn patina.

I have several old pulls if you are looking I know I have some Conmar's and I may even have a brass Talon lying around somewhere. Let me know if you are serious. Rob