Officers using 1928 haversacks?

ReverendJake

ReverendJake

I read that there were occasions where officers would wear these, but I have yet to see any photos. Anything out there that you guys know of?

ThompsonSavage

There is plenty of pictorial reference which suggests that M1928 haversacks were used by officers.

16th Inf Reg officer observing exercise Fabius and 2nd Ranger Lt. Edlin.

post-45626-0-27533900-1364896517.jpg

post-45626-0-88669400-1364896525.jpg

ReverendJake

There is plenty of pictorial reference which suggests that M1928 haversacks were used by officers.

16th Inf Reg officer observing exercise Fabius and 2nd Ranger Lt. Edlin.

It looks like he's wearing a BAR belt. Or at least one pouch from a BAR belt.

ReverendJake

I'm looking to put together a '43-'44 ETO leg officer (2nd Lt. to be exact) impression. Haven't decided on France or Italy, a particular unit yet, or BOS yet (either infantry, artillery, or engineer). Would a carbine and no pistol be correct for an average officer the ETO for this era?

I have a photo in a book of a 29th Division officer wearing a 28' pack...he's carrying a carbine and has an e-tool attached to the pack where a bayonet usually goes. So yeah it's a safe bet to use a 28 pack if you're an officer. It helped you blend in a little better with the enlisted men too.

ReverendJake

It helped you blend in a little better with the enlisted men too.

That was my thought

ThompsonSavage
Would a carbine and no pistol be correct for an average officer the ETO for this era?

Yes

And yes, Edlin is wearing a BAR belt, more storage space. He was armed with a Garand though.

I talked to Edlin about his kit once. The cool fighting knife seen sticking up is probably still at the bottom of the atlantic where he left it. He was going for maximum load as he had no idea when they would get resupplied. His is a very special case. However.. yes, there are occasional photos of them being worn by officers, but of course there will be when you have so many million guys under arms all around the world? Officers were issued the M36. That was the standard. That is what you start with. They also had a bedroll where they could store more stuff, which EM did not get. Now the M36 is a big of a pain. you can't really carry all you need it in, whereas the M28 was specifically designed to carry what you need, and nothing more. (and if you know how to use it, it works just fine). Neither are supposed to be a rucksack, so many modern reenactors think they were poorly designed- not so! Plus, depending upon the unit, some did issue 36's to the EM. So it would kind of silly for you to have a 28 when everyone else is wearing an M36. I strongly suggest you get a hold of the T/O&E for the type of unit wish to portray and start with that. You can then go off on any tangent you want and think up clever reasons to "be different" but you should know what you're supposed to have. And the carbine was issues in lieu of a pistol, so technically, you would not carry a pistol- although it was often done. Most soldiers did not carry one damn thing more than they had to, as they would have to lug it wherever they went. Now some people are going to argue endlessly that they wore whatever they wanted to. blah, blah, blah, But there is a CORRECT way to do things, and if you deviate from that you really should have a reason as to why.

ReverendJake

Yes

And yes, Edlin is wearing a BAR belt, more storage space. He was armed with a Garand though.

I always thought of using the BAR belt for more space was a Vietnam thing. You learn something new every day! I would have never imagined an officer carrying a Garand (Gavin style!)wearing a BAR belt, and wearing a 28 sack. That's probably one of the coolest pictures I've seen in a while.