KIA MARINE on IWO JIMA ,MASSIVE Group

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is a Group I have to a KIA marine PFC William Sorrells ,Killed on March 3rd 1945, He was with C, Co 1st Bn, 28th Marines, 5th Division , This is the largest Documented purple heart group I have. I think The Parents had saved everything from him when he was in the marines.Every letter he wrote Plus all the envelopes , and His parents letters to him,Their is even a couple return to sender,Because he was KIA. He was Born in Virgina. Parents moved to California.I have his Hat,But can not fined it right now. I have lots of news paper clipping from iwo to. To many to take photos of. Their is also a photo of his buddy kneeing by his grave on Iwo,He was with him when he was Killed,I have his letter from him to his parents telling them How he was Killed and what a good Marine he was,Very SAD.Also have his KIA dog tag that was on his grave marker.Their was another purple heart,What happen to it I don;t know,I just have a photo of it.Reading some of his letters are very emotional. Thought I would share this Marine with the Forum to keep his memory alive.

post-421-0-91460900-1364770171.jpg

post-421-0-04125200-1364770198.jpg

History Man

Very nice group, a purple heart is a nice piece to have but when you have the documentation it makes the group IMHO.

Philip

Raidercollector

From reading about his death,From what I read in the letters,He was a machine gunner went up MT Suribachi. to the top. Must have been there for the flag raiseing,And saw the flag get raised,Than they came down,went over to the air field, Where he was killed by Japanese rifle fire.

firefighter

Awesome grouping and very complete, like you didn't know that already. :) Thank you for sharing this brave Marines items.Semper Fi & R.I.P Marine.

Thanks for keeping this together. Breaks my heart to hear about collections like this being scattered to make a few more dollars.

BigJohn#3RD

Nick,

Great Group it is very moving and sad about the cost of freedom that has been paid by the few who go into harms way to protect us and liberate others.

Regards,

John

Raidercollector

Here is the letter his buddy PFC Freddie M. King that was with him when he was killed by the air field he wrote to the parents,Telling them how they went up Mt Suribachi, and than came down,went to the air field where he was shooting with his 30 cal machine gun at a japanese machine gun nest,And he was shot twice in the chest and twice in the arm where he fell and was unconscious and was taken back to the lines where he died. Very sad.

Nick

post-421-0-43115900-1364858663.jpg

post-421-0-66047400-1364858678.jpg

RIP Marfine!

It is just so sad that so many don't care or don't even know what he did.

WW2 is just some war to many.

Terry