KIA Ploesti Raid PH & DFC, Very Personal Grouping

Belleauwood

• 4 weeks later...
benguttery

Fascinating. Lt. Norman Whalen, navigator of “Hail Columbia,” was later an archeologist and one of my college professors.

KASTAUFFER

Fascinating. Lt. Norman Whalen, navigator of “Hail Columbia,” was later an archeologist and one of my college professors.

There are some pics of Whalen and Hail Columbia in this thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/93319-wwii-ploesti-veteran-and-pow-harry-korger/

Kurt

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Of all the posts I've read on the forum this one was the toughest to read. The heroics of the crew, the letters showing such anguish of the families trying to correspond and find information about their missing loved ones, the months long hope and then despair of finally knowing their family member wouldn't be coming home, this one was a tough read and really hit home. I hope it's OK to bring this one back to the top for those that might have missed it. With so many groupings split up for monetary gain it's important to remember that these groups represent such heroics and tragedy, lest we forget.

I am glad you brought this post back up. It was great to read it again and the story of "Snow White" and Captain Gunn is incredible. One of the crewman, T/Sgt Delmar Smith was from my hometown. I wrote about him and Snow White in my book which was published last June. T/Sgt Smith had one sister. I hope if she had any children that they find this post and contact me.

• 5 years later...