KIA Ploesti Raid PH & DFC, Very Personal Grouping

Belleauwood

Belleauwood

Sergeant Charles R. Ruark -Top Torrent Gunner

B-24, "SNOW WHITE", - 343 Squadron, 98th Bomb Group

This is one of the nicest, as well as one of the more historically significant KIA Purple Heart groups that I have owned in quite a while. This group also includes his DFC, photos and gut wrenching letters written to his wife from other aircrew describing the heroic deeds of the B-24 " Snow White" during the daring low-level attack on the oil refineries at Ploesti on August 1, 1943. The Snow White survived her time over target, but gave her all in the attempt to save her squadron mate " The Witch"' which had been badly shot up and was falling behind and out of formation.

Sgt. Ruark, had been wounded in action (ankle) on May 21, 1943. He died a short time later with his entire crew in the "Snow White" as did 521 other airmen, on August 1, of the same year. In all, 54 planes were lost, 41 of those were in combat.

What this group may lack in the form of documents, few groups offer more in substance. This post will have many photos to view, but will by no means cover all that is here, or convey all the emotions expressed in the personal paperwork. In 1949, upon his repatriation and burial at Arlington National Cemetery, the flag of the United States was presented to his 5-year old son.

Original autographs and comment by Lt. Norman Whalen, navigator of “Hail Columbia” and Lt. Julian Darlington, the pilot of “The Witch”, the Liberator that Snow White tried so valiantly to protect, further personalize it.

Hope You Approve,

Dennis

post-3422-0-11908400-1364732963.jpg

Belleauwood

Sergeant Charles R. Ruark -Top Torrent Gunner

B-24, "SNOW WHITE", - 343 Squadron, 98th Bomb Group

This is one of the nicest, as well as one of the more historically significant KIA Purple Heart groups that I have owned in quite a while. This group also includes his DFC, photos and gut wrenching letters written to his wife from other aircrew describing the heroic deeds of the B-24 " Snow White" during the daring low-level attack on the oil refineries at Ploesti on August 1, 1943. The Snow White survived her time over target, but gave her all in the attempt to save her squadron mate " The Witch"' which had been badly shot up and was falling behind and out of formation.

Sgt. Ruark, had been wounded in action (ankle) on May 21, 1943. He died a short time later with his entire crew in the "Snow White" as did 521 other airmen, on August 1, of the same year. In all, 54 planes were lost, 41 of those were in combat.

What this group may lack in the form of documents, few groups offer more in substance. This post will have many photos to view, but will by no means cover all that is here, or convey all the emotions expressed in the personal paperwork. In 1949, upon his repatriation and burial at Arlington National Cemetery, the flag of the United States was presented to his 5-year old son.

Original autographs and comment by Lt. Norman Whalen, navigator of “Hail Columbia” and Lt. Julian Darlington, the pilot of “The Witch”, the Liberator that Snow White tried so valiantly to protect, further personalize it.

Hope You Approve,

Dennis

post-3422-0-66459400-1364733083.jpg

post-3422-0-77677300-1364733094.jpg

Outstanding! I have the MARC for Snow White. Why? Because one of the crewmen. Delmar E. Smith was from my hometown and his name is listed on the memorial wall in town. I am researching all of the names on the wall and writing a book about the men. The story I have written about Smith and Snow White is one of my favorite. It is an incredible story of sacrifice and courage. Smith was a replacement crewmen on Snow White and the Ploesti raid was his first mission. The photo album is very historicly significant. Below is a nice picture of Snow White

post-2651-0-70708000-1364734058.jpg

Fantastic Tidal Wave Grouping!! What a treasure! Operation Tidal Wave groups and items are very tough to find. I've only gotten 3 in over 10 years that I have been hunting them down and nothing as complete as this set! What a great, complete group. Thanks for sharing!! JD