USAF Name Plate

The Rookie

I was not sure where to post this .... during the Vietnam Era was it required for officers to have a name tag (plate) their uniforms ? I have a uniform of Colonel Boys and I see no sign of a name tag being on there. But I have 2 picture of him , one with and one without . I think it adds to a uniform to have it.

nyx3_zpsd825667b.jpg

nyx4_zpsf4413af5.jpg

It was the late 1960s when the USAF started making blue plastic name plates mandatory. You can have one made pretty cheap should you decide to add one.

DutchInfid3l

Air Force had a wide variety of name tags before the standard blue one was made a mandatory uniform item in 1973, though the standard blue was approved in 1964.

Here are some in my collection:

d3ae22483fc13ff4076f82b3cd4a497c.jpg

Most back then were worn during seminars, conferences or official schooling.

Here are some photos:

fc9b056a9c0715a962d6f60569433541.jpg

SFKimballSACawardcrew.jpg

This one is dated 1961

I was in the USAF 1966-1970 and the white letters on blue plastic name tag (so we were told), was mandatory on all class A & class B uniforms. Of course that just may have been a SAC thing or even the local unit requirement. I just remember everybody wore one on those two uniforms.

I like the nice selection of different ones shown in the thread.

Also, Army style white on black plastic was used in some places in the USAF earlier. I have a small group of ribbons, wings, collar brass and name tag to a Senior Master Sgt. that date from the early 60's and his name tag was white on black plastic.

Colonel Boys left the USAF in 1966 and started to teach military law in the USN untill 1975 ... I assume he had one .

An interesting fellow , he joined the Army ... went to the Air Force when it started , and taught in the Navy upon leaving the Air Force.

firefighter

Major Anthony Nelson didn't have a Name Plate either :D BTW what are some of those ribbons?

post-34986-0-43008400-1364701498.jpg

Airmans Medal, AF Comm Medal, AF Outstanding Unit, Korean War, & AF Longevity(2OLC's).

firefighter

When I 1st joined the AF(82) I had the blue & white lettering name plate.I was a medic and took my EMT class.Once I graduated from my class I ordered a new name plate,

GREEN

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECH

I still have my original and that one.

Airmans Medal, AF Comm Medal, AF Outstanding Unit, Korean War, & AF Longevity(2OLC's).

Thank's FF, I know they missed a couple, the ribbons for the National Defense Medal. and the UN Service Medal. Major Nelson must have been a very YOUUNG officer in Korea, maybe getting there in the final year of the war 1953 as a newly minted 2nd Lt pilot :D

When I arrived at the 1604th Air Police Sqdn, Kindley AFB, Bermuda, in March 1956, I was still a jeep and hardly knew which way was up. Name tags were optional, but could be worn. I had one made out of plastic, white letters on black. The attached picture is a very young PaveBuff, who had just been selected Airman of the Month. Having the photo taken was part of the deal for being selected. Notice I am wearing the name tag on the "wrong" side.

post-14361-0-30778700-1364850358.jpg

nguoi tien su

Most of the USAF personal files I received through NARA with a pre-1972 photo show the absence of a name plate, whereas on the post-1973 portraits, nearly all the Class A are pinned with the name.

I would also say that on 1505 shirts, about 60 to 70% of the pre-1970 photos show officers or NCO without a plastic name tag. Of course, it is an estimate only.

If you look at the one photo of Col. Boys you will see some sort of tag where his name tag belongs ... but it looks black , that is a 1962 photo.