Adm Baggett CinC Atlantic/NATO Supreme Commander

Bob Hudson

I finally got around to photographing all of it today: the total lot weighs over 100 pounds so it's quite a workout moving all around:

1.jpg

Here's a closeup I shot using the Panorama feature on my iPhone 4S camera:

53.jpg

dave peifer

i bought adm hyman rickover's group many years ago and there was an incredible amount of framed items and plaques along with everything else.it's been packed since i got it only to be gone through once in a while.i believe something like 120 plaques and about as many framed items.and i didn't get the entire group...........dave

i bought adm hyman rickover's group many years ago and there was an incredible amount of framed items and plaques along with everything else.it's been packed since i got it only to be gone through once in a while.i believe something like 120 plaques and about as many framed items.and i didn't get the entire group...........dave

I was thinking how cool it would be to have this all hanging on a wall!

Bob, where is all the good stuff this Admiral stuff is getting old.

Great pick up, a great trophy wall display for sure. Congrats.

Bob, where is all the good stuff this Admiral stuff is getting old.

Yeah, bummer he was only a four-star.

Hmmm...one of the most famous US Navy admirals...I'm thinking that group deserves a thread in the near future... ;)

it is an impressive display the way you have it in the first pics..............dave

Here's a look behind the scenes on that: it's a Wal Mart folding table, a 4x8 sheet of foam insulation from Home Depot and a few sheets of foamcore board from Staples. That's the doorway of my garage which has a northern exposure so I get bright, even, shadow-free light. Now I can't close the door when I have that setup like this, so thankfully inclement weather is a rare thing in San Diego County (the 4x8 sheet of white insulation is mounted to a base and is always in that spot, and if I had energy, I'd clean up the garage behind it and move it back a few feet so I could close the door while doing photo sessions). I have a permanent indoor photo area too, but it's smaller and is lit by an array of color-balanced fluorescent lights.

setup.jpg

Baggett was a NATO commander, not just an Navy or US commander so the items he received from other countries are not common even among Navy admirals unless they've headed a multi-national organization.

• 7 years later...

Today I found a stray piece of  this 4-star admiral's grouping I posted here in 2013. It's kind of fun to revisit it - it is the epitome of plaques and models as given to senior Naval officers.

On 1/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, dave peifer said:

what was it you found bob?

It was a presentation to Admiral Baggett from Egyptian Vice Admiral Ali Tawfik Gad (April 1983 - October 1987) - didn't have Baggett's name on it and it was broken: the heavy  top metal piece is actually two pieces that need soldered together and the whole thing needs soldered (or JB Welded) to a mounting screw. I took a stab at it over the years and while I can solder electrical wiring I did not do well in my attempts to fix it. 

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2.jpg