Adm Baggett CinC Atlantic/NATO Supreme Commander

Bob Hudson

Picked a grouping today for Admiral Lee Baggett Jr., a four-star who served from 1950 to 1988.

1.jpg

.findagrave.com has a nice bio of him;

Birth: Jan. 11, 1927, USA Death: Aug. 10, 1999, USA trans.gif

Admiral, U.S. Navy

Lee Baggett, Jr. graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy with the Class of 1950 and was commissioned as an Ensign in the Navy.

Baggett served as Executive Officer in the destroyer USS O'Brien (DD-975), followed by a tour as Operations Officer in the nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser USS Long Beach.

He commanded the guided-missile cruiser USS Reeves (1972-73), the destroyer USS Decatur and two minesweepers. As a Rear Admiral he served as Manager, Anti-Submarine Warfare Systems Project in the Naval Material Command from August 1975 to October 1977.

He served as Chief of Staff, Sixth Fleet and Director of Naval Warfare in Chief of Naval Operations. His other assignments included Commander Naval Surface Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet from May 1979 through July 1982.

On 30 May 1985, Baggett was promoted to the rank of Admiral and assigned as Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Naval Forces Europe (CINCUSNAVEUR) and Commander-in-Chief, Allied Forces Southern Europe (CINCSOUTH). In late 1985, he became Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic (SACLANT) and Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Atlantic Command (USCINCLANT).

Admiral Baggett retired from the Navy in 1988.

A gentleman from the South, Baggett made his mark as a leader by caring for those under his command. He received a Master's degree in Physics at Naval Postgraduate School and the University of California Berkeley.

Medals and Awards

Defense Distinguished Service Medal

Navy Distinguished Service Medal (2 Awards0

Legion of Merit

Bio compiled by Charles A. Lewis

There's not a lot of documentation but there are three large Presidential Appointment certificates including the one shown in the first post, and these two:

2.jpg

3.jpg

I got three boxes full: lots of plaques and presentations from US and allied military leaders and units. One of my favorites is this from the salvage divers of Harbor Clearance Unit ONE - HCU-ONE:

5.jpg

This is from the crew of the USS Decatur, where he was the first CO:

4.jpg

His wife was sponsor for the launching of the USS ANIZO CG-68. She was presented with this resin half model on a wood plaque that must be about 30 inches wide.

8.jpg

9.jpg

I met Admiral Baggett in the early 90's when I was Vice President for Military Affairs at the Greater San Diego Chamber of Commerce. He helped us out when we were preparing San Diego's presentation to the base closure commission (BRAC).

I don't want to pull more stuff out of the boxes tonight (well I do, but I need to rest up after a 150 mile round trip today to do some pickin' in three different communities).

Here's some photos of him from those little booklets put together following his visits to the Nimitz and Blue Ridge:

12.jpg

13.jpg

Oooh! I love those appointment certificates! I've seen a handful of them and they are tres cool.

I think Baggett's estate sale was about 10 years ago (maybe 12?) I remember a bunch of his stuff that came out on eBay and I was able to buy his USNA Plebe Summer dixie cup hat. I know I've tried to sell it a couple times...I can't for the life of me remember if I did or if I still have it! (Most of my collection is in storage.)

I look forward to seeing more of what you got!

Dave

Here's his Plebe Summer blue-rim dixie cup. I owned this well before I worked at the USNA, as I had it on display in my office in 2004-2006...so I'm thinking I bought it in about 2001 or so...

Dave

Baggett1.jpg

Baggett2.jpg

I think Baggett's estate sale was about 10 years ago (maybe 12?) I remember a bunch of his stuff that came out on eBay and I was able to buy his USNA Plebe Summer dixie cup hat.

I bought this from a picker who bought most of Baggett's stuff at that sale and has had most of it in storage since then. He told me he long ago sold off what he considered "lesser" items on ebay, and then got involved with a woman and got sidetracked and hadn't sold anything in several years. Now he's selling things off to recover from the end of that relationship! (To quote Jimmy Buffett, "Some people claim that there's a woman to blame....").

He had kept all of the books that were inscribed to the Admiral and/or signed by the author, plus plaques from allied military leaders, and the cool presentation pieces such as the diver's helmet and the mine. I'll try to photograph the rest today.

He told me he long ago sold off what he considered "lesser" items on ebay

What?!?!?! You mean to tell me that the admiral's Plebe Summer dixie cup is a "lesser" item?!?!?!? Say it's not so!!! LOL :D

Oooh! I love those appointment certificates! I've seen a handful of them and they are tres cool.

I think Baggett's estate sale was about 10 years ago (maybe 12?) I remember a bunch of his stuff that came out on eBay and I was able to buy his USNA Plebe Summer dixie cup hat. I know I've tried to sell it a couple times...I can't for the life of me remember if I did or if I still have it! (Most of my collection is in storage.)

I look forward to seeing more of what you got!

Dave

Those certificates are huge: almost two feet high when framed:

certs.jpg

Here's the yardstick showing the size of the half-model:

ship.jpg

To go with the USNA HAT -

trident1.jpg

trident2.jpg

trident4.jpg

trident3.jpg

The US Navy has always outdone all services when it comes to giving plaques, usually to outgoing CO's. But the Admiral had a really impressive collection of plaques from allied military leaders and they are very impressive in person. Some have very heavy marble bases, some have silver, some have incredible detail. Here are some but not all of them.

pl1.jpg

pl2.jpg

pl3.jpg

pl4.jpg

Patchcollector

Man that guy got some neat stuff,perks of being an Admiral I suppose!There's enough plaques to line a mancave for sure! :)

RustyCanteen

Man that guy got some neat stuff,perks of being an Admiral I suppose!There's enough plaques to line a mancave for sure! :)

That's for sure!

Cool stuff indeed.

That's why the admiral I worked for before getting out of the Navy made it abundantly clear on visits that he would only accept challenge coins as visit gifts. He ended up with hundreds of them, all displayed under a glass top on his office conference table. People are prone to going overboard on gifts, and many subordinate officers would try to "top" their peers...leading to a lot of pain on the part of the poor SOB who had to get the gift together!

These items from Baggett's estate are very cool and a reminder of days gone by.

Dave