Fully automatic m1911's

ReverendJake

ReverendJake

I once read that these were issued to NCO's for the invasion of Sicily. Has anyone ever heard anything about them?

post-104618-0-57398800-1364507332.jpg

post-104618-0-69063700-1364507341.jpg

ReverendJake

By the way, these two are factory conversions. I know that the army tested them in 1940, but they were never officially adopted.

Charlie Flick

It is interesting that the top gun pictured has adjustable target sights on it, hardly necessary on a sub-gun.

It is not surprising that these were not adopted. Wouldn't the .45 ACP M3 Greasegun be a cheaper, more accurate weapon than this one?

Regards,

Charlie

Those are tool room prototypes from the Colt factory. They were sold a few years ago by Rock Island Auctions. The upper one is in .45 ACP and the lower one is in .38 Super. They were tested by the Army, but never adopted.

I can see why they were not adopted. If you shouldered that weapon and fired, the slide recoil would be dangerously close to your noggin !!

Big Al is right. Colt tried this a couple of times--once with the M1911 (it had a long slide/barrel) and again with the M1911A1. Both times they submitted unsolicited proposals. When the Ordnance Dept rejected them they tried with the FBI, which is why one of the pistols above is a Super .38. The FBI didn't want them either. None were ever bought or issued.

Regards,

Kevin Williams

I had a 1911 that spit multiple rounds out with a single squeeze of the trigger once but after it happened, I changed my shorts and sent it in for repair. Of course the examples pictured in this thread were intended to spit rounds out fast so extra shorts might not be necessary.

Cool pistols!

Obviously not exactly the same but Baby face Nelson used a kind of modified fully automatic 1911 in the shootout at the Little Bohemia in 1934

Obviously not exactly the same but Baby face Nelson used a kind of modified fully automatic 1911 in the shootout at the Little Bohemia in 1934

That gun was converted from a standard .38 Super 1911 with a kit made by the Monarch Gun Company of Hollywood, CA, by Hyman Lebman, famous gangland gunsmith and saddler.

• 2 weeks later...

Top one also most reminds me of the shoulder stock/barrel kit that was semi popular in the 60's for the 1911. Came with a new main spring housing that was grouved for the shoulder stock and a 16" barrel. The shoulder stocked as a tag right on it saying it is illegal without the 16" barrel. Not sure if the 20 round clip came with it. Yes, I do have one.Jack.