USMF Challenge! Post your WWI 26th Division helmets. Can we create a complete online collection to display?

USMC-RECON0321

Nice Don! Thanks for posting! The paint on the Ammo Train looks very polished and shiny. Was something applied to make it appear like that?

Mike

Have several more but seem to be having issues uploading images...I'll try back later,

Don

As always Don, you've got some of the greatest lids! Good to see them!

Scott

USMC-RECON0321

WOW!! Just got back in town and checked in on this thread. Really great stuff guys, I will update our list tomorrow and see how we're doing.

Thanks again for continuing to post all these great examples, the more the better!!

Troy

Thanks for the interest on the helms I have posted, and my compliments on those that have been posted and to this thread.....Mike, the 101st Ammn Train (post49) has had a varnish/shellac application over the insignia; AEF1917...Sorry on that :D ..Over the years I most definitely have learned to know that feeling,

Here's a simple "YD" etched into the finish (US M17).

post-9079-0-47864200-1365431993.jpg

Double painted insignia 101st Eng (US M17), interestingly this one was set for a Wilmer Eye Defense System, but the three holes were placed only on one side. Front with 101st Eng insignia.

post-9079-0-41759700-1365432333.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Now that I look at it, there may have been an earlier larger "YD" also applied on the side of the above helmet.

Don,

Great helmets! Looks like your Avatar pic is one we need (QMC Variant). Can you post a picture of that one?

Thanks

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Okay, I think I've got our status updated to this point. From what I can tell we are still missing the following that I know of:

101st INF.

51st F.A.

101st Trench Mortar Battery

QMC Variant.

post-33000-0-54573700-1365444819.jpg

post-33000-0-61066700-1365444827.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Here is a thumbnail picture of all the helmets posted except the HDQRS Troop. It would not let me copy it for some reason.

Thanks again for all the help on this thread and hopefully keep it going! Again, duplicates are fine if you want to add one of yours.

Troy

post-33000-0-21761400-1365445193.jpg

Troy, here's the QMC variation, (UK mfg'd Mk-1). I have some 101st Inf helmets, unfortunately haven't imaged them yet, I'll try to do that this week.

Regards,

Don

post-9079-0-98967100-1365525519.jpg

Look's like the current image size exceeded the posting capacity, I'll resize and re-post this later tonight.

Regards,

Don

Troy, here's the QMC variation, (UK mfg'd Mk-1). I have some 101st Inf helmets, unfortunately haven't imaged them yet, I'll try to do that this week.

Regards,

Don

Great lids Don! Haven't seen a good many of these on the APF, we miss you there.

USMC-RECON0321

Regards,

Don

Don,

That would be great if you could fill in any more blanks. And when you say you have "some 101st helmets" I'm thinking that means "extras", Sooooo... Please keep me in mind if you decide to part with any of your 26th Lids??

Thanks and it never hurts to ask!

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks Mike!

Now only two more to go and we nailed it!

Just to refresh you all, this is what we now need to finish this quest for the 26th!!

51st F.A.

101st Trench Mortar Battery

THanks and keep em coming.

Troy

• 2 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up.

Since the majority of 26th helmets were painted under orders, camos are not easy to come by, and since each unit had unique insignia, generic YD helmets are tough too. Here's a recent pickup that has both.

post-270-0-85497900-1366908258.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

WOW! That is a great helmet!! Thanks for sharing it.
I need to update our list and hopefully we can locate the last coulple examples remaining to finsish the list!!

Troy

I love this helmet especially since it is a camo!

On another note, this thread has become a great reference so, once we get this thing populated, I'm going to move it into our helmet reference section where it will be forever pinned,

Bringing this one back up.

Since the majority of 26th helmets were painted under orders, camos are not easy to come by, and since each unit had unique insignia, generic YD helmets are tough too. Here's a recent pickup that has both.

attachicon.gifYD.JPG