KIA Japanese uniform jacket

Fixbayonets!

Fixbayonets!

This is by far the most tragic spoil of war that I have come across. I received this jacket about 10 years ago from the widow of a WWII USMC veteran. She stated that her husband had taken this jacket from a dead Japanese soldier & brought it home as a war trophy. She told her husband that she would not allow the jacket in the house and the vet refused to get rid of it. They compromised and he kept the jacket in the attic for all of these years. When the USMC vet passed away she pulled the jacket out the attic (it was inside a black plastic garbage bag) and asked me if I would take it or she was going to throw it away. She did not know where he captured the jacket or under what circumstances & I am sure she did not care. I have concluded that the Japanese soldier had suffered a head wound with blood spilling onto his shoulder and running down his sleeve down to the cuff, there is also some light spotting on the front of the jacket & a larger spot on the back. In the pockets I found a pair of suspenders and two small newspaper clipping in Japanese. This is an item I have mixed feelings about and I handle it as little as possible.

Rob

post-168-0-65339600-1364399881.jpg

Very interesting. It must have had quite a significance to the vet for him to resist getting rid of it, not even for his wife. Too bad that was lost.

Fixbayonets!

Very interesting. It must have had quite a significance to the vet for him to resist getting rid of it, not even for his wife. Too bad that was lost.

I agree it is a shame the specific details have been lost to history, the widow was just happy to part ways with it. When she came to me with the garbage bag she held it as far away from her body as possible.

Rob

Very nice peice I hate to admit it but I have a great interest in "bloodied" artifacts as they really bring the war right into your collection. I should add that the uniform looks to be in exceptional shape for being in an attic for so long

Fixbayonets!

Very nice peice I hate to admit it but I have a great interest in "bloodied" artifacts as they really bring the war right into your collection. I should add that the uniform looks to be in exceptional shape for being in an attic for so long

In all of my years of collecting this is the only "without a doubt" blood stained item I have come across. You will frequently see people who have stained items asking "is this blood"? but iI believe the relics that are the real deal are few & far between. Like I said, I have mixed feelings & it took me some time to get used to the idea that someone lost their life while wearing this jacket. I have also come to realize that an item such as this is what puts what we collect into perspective.

The uniform is in very good shape, being kept in a stuffy attic instead of a damp basement for all of these years. The only drawback to this (you can't see it in the photos) is that the stitching & threads have become dry & brittle from the heat of many summers, some of the buttons are ready to fall off.

Rob

Gentlemen,

I cleaned this up a bit. Let's try to stay on the topic of the jacket for what it is. The discussion of derogatory terms is not necessary.

Forum Manager

Keep the postings on the subject of this jacket. No little private rants are needed.

RustyCanteen

Ok, let's keep the comments on target please.

The last post was removed because it was clearly in response to Forum Manager's reply.

Ok, let's keep the comments on target please.

The last post was removed because it was clearly in response to Forum Manager's reply.

I agree it was a reply. If anyone would like an uncensored version of what i said here, please feel free to PM me.

Again, very nice jacket and great story with it. I wish you would have gotten to talk to the vet personally.

RustyCanteen

I agree it was a reply.

It was a reply, but it could have been worded a little better.

Let's leave it at that.