NGLO (Naval Gunfire Liasion Officer) Uniform Grouping

Tonomachi

I have heard of USMC ANGLICO but not Naval NGLO before. I'm assuming they work together in the field or does NGLO's work for the Army to call in Naval gunfire since the Marine Corps have their own ANGLICO?

NGLOs are attached to USMC units. That's the reason it's a pretty "dead end" job...you all but leave the auspices of the Navy for the duration of the tour, as well as spend a couple years away from your main career track. I can't recall ever meeting someone who had served as an NGLO and then gone on to progress in their career path. Other than the one reservist I dealt with, all of the other NGLOs I worked with from about 2008 onward were mustangs...either warrant officers or LDOs vice standard surface warfare officers like they traditionally were.

Dave

easterneagle87

I might be wrong, but I believe the AAM does go before the NAM in precedence. I can't find a reference this morning to save my life though. Maybe after a few more cups of coffee. :D

In the Navy, being an NGLO is a pretty dead-end job. Judging from the fact that he served on a couple surface ships before becoming an NGLO, but never earned a SWO indicates to me that he was an 1165, meaning Surface Warfare Officer Trainee who was USNR (e.g. was commissioned via ROTC or OCS vice the USNA) who failed to complete his qualifications as a SWO, and ended up as an NGLO for his last 18-24 months in the Navy. Since he never made it over six years of commissioned service, he never augmented to USN...probably did what we call the "five and dive", in other words, did five years and resigned. Or perhaps, as a SWO non-qual, may have even been separated before his five years of service as he was an officer in the early 90s during the whole post-Gulf War drawdown.

That's my theory...and I'm pretty certain I'm pretty close to what actually happened.

Dave

****************************************************************************************

Dave, I would normally defer to your knowledge, however...I will offer this on the placement of the award. I'm sure the Navy has simillar regs, but Per (Army Regs) AR-670-1, (para-phrasing) you will wear your current service awards before those awarded by another service. He was in the Navy at the time, so the Navy Achievement goes before the Army Achievement. IF it had been an Army Commendation Medal, then it would take precedence over the Navy Ach., because it is a higher award. Used to drive me crazy when my Warrants would wear their other service GCs above the Army GC and etc. "I got it first." they would say. That doesn't matter, you are no long in that branch.

****************************************************************************************

IF it had been an Army Commendation Medal, then it would take precedence over the Navy Ach., because it is a higher award.

I am curious about this statement. Where is this cross-branch precedence "officially" documented? In the case of both branches Comms ('43 USN/'45 USA) and Ach ('61 USN/'81 USA) medals, the Navy was first.

I am not challenging you...just seeking clarity.

easterneagle87

I am curious about this statement. Where is this cross-branch precedence "officially" documented? In the case of both branches Comms ('43 USN/'45 USA) and Ach ('61 USN/'81 USA) medals, the Navy was first.

I am not challenging you...just seeking clarity.

I can not find where it specifically says, "Thou shall and thou shall not...", but a quick search on the web and I found this. Obviously this is an Army reg and the Navy and/or other service branchs must have their own.

AR 670-1, dated 3 FEB 2005 (can't see any reason it would change as it says basically the same thing I had in the 80's to early 90's.), Chapter 29, specifically 29-6, lists an order of precedence for wear starting with the CoMH all the way through foreign awards. Then further down check out 29-6 (d) 2

d. U.S. service (campaign) medals, and service and training ribbons. U.S. service (campaign) medals, and service and training ribbons authorized for wear on the uniform are listed below, in their order of precedence. Personnel may wear service medals and service and training ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services on the Army uniform, except for the Air Force Longevity Service Award ribbon and Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard marksmanship medals and ribbons. Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.

(1) Prisoner of War Medal.

(2) Good Conduct Medal. Good Conduct Medals from the other Services follow the Army Good Conduct Medal in order of precedence. The Army reserve components’ Achievement Medal and equivalents awarded by other Service reserve components follow the Army Good Conduct Medal and Good Conduct Medals from the other U.S. Services, in order of precedence.

Here's what I found from Navy Regs...yes, the NAM does go before the AAM...my memory stands corrected!

5304. PRECEDENCE OF AWARDS

1. General. Awards issued to naval personnel are listed in this section in order of precedence. Awards Precedence Chart

Awards received for service performed while attached to units of the Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, which are not included in this section, but which are equivalent to Navy awards listed here, may be worn in the order specified by the respective military service subject to the following:

a. In all cases of relative priority Navy awards shall take precedence.

b. Awards for a war, campaign, expedition, etc., shall be worn as campaign and service awards.

c. Only those badges listed in article 5310 may be worn on naval uniforms.

d. Refer to SECNAVINST 1650.1 Series concerning precedence of Marine Corps awards.

...Obviously this is an Army reg and the Navy and/or other service branchs must have their own...

Personnel will wear service and training medals and ribbons awarded by other U.S. Services after U.S. Army service and training ribbons, and before foreign awards.

Here's what I found from Navy Regs...yes, the NAM does go before the AAM...my memory stands corrected!

a. In all cases of relative priority Navy awards shall take precedence.

Both instructions are specific to their respective branches (as you pointed out, easterneagle87) so I am hard-pressed to consider that equivalent medals/awards (comms/achieve/GC) have seniority in precedence with hierarchically organized homogeneous across all branches. Perhaps it is an irrelevant discussion as it only matters in terms of wear in relation to the wearer's service component in the context of time.

NGLOs are attached to USMC units. That's the reason it's a pretty "dead end" job...you all but leave the auspices of the Navy for the duration of the tour, as well as spend a couple years away from your main career track. I can't recall ever meeting someone who had served as an NGLO and then gone on to progress in their career path. Other than the one reservist I dealt with, all of the other NGLOs I worked with from about 2008 onward were mustangs...either warrant officers or LDOs vice standard surface warfare officers like they traditionally were.

Dave

Thanks for the information as well as everyone's input on this grouping.

Thanks for the information as well as everyone's input on this grouping.

Thanks for posting it! Not only is it an interesting group (I think this guy has a fascinating history) but I learned something new today. Can't beat that!

Dave

seniority in precedence with hierarchically organized homogeneous across all branches.

Huh, this went right over my head. :blink::wacko::P

Huh, this went right over my head. :blink::wacko::P

Crap...I blew that one...mixing my tenses is the result of typing a post while in a staff meeting at the office.

• 7 months later...

I might be wrong, but I believe the AAM does go before the NAM in precedence. I can't find a reference this morning to save my life though. Maybe after a few more cups of coffee. :D

In the Navy, being an NGLO is a pretty dead-end job. Judging from the fact that he served on a couple surface ships before becoming an NGLO, but never earned a SWO indicates to me that he was an 1165, meaning Surface Warfare Officer Trainee who was USNR (e.g. was commissioned via ROTC or OCS vice the USNA) who failed to complete his qualifications as a SWO, and ended up as an NGLO for his last 18-24 months in the Navy. Since he never made it over six years of commissioned service, he never augmented to USN...probably did what we call the "five and dive", in other words, did five years and resigned. Or perhaps, as a SWO non-qual, may have even been separated before his five years of service as he was an officer in the early 90s during the whole post-Gulf War drawdown.

That's my theory...and I'm pretty certain I'm pretty close to what actually happened.

Dave

Not to be/sound defensive but I just read this and thought I would help set the record straight. He did NOT do the 5 years and quit deal as you mention or anywhere near a "dead-end job". Actually, he did 28 years of service and ranked up to LCDR. As well as you mentioned, how one would have the books on "Directed Energy Weapons" and carry this career in the Navy at the same time, and this is because upon him being in the military, he was also a Defense Contractor for the United States Government. He did retire in the early 2000's sometime I dont exactly remember when because I was really young at the time. These facts you can bet are true because I know. Because Bahman Zohuri is my Dad.

Not to be/sound defensive but I just read this and thought I would help set the record straight. He did NOT do the 5 years and quit deal as you mention or anywhere near a "dead-end job". Actually, he did 28 years of service and ranked up to LCDR. As well as you mentioned, how one would have the books on "Directed Energy Weapons" and carry this career in the Navy at the same time, and this is because upon him being in the military, he was also a Defense Contractor for the United States Government. He did retire in the early 2000's sometime I dont exactly remember when because I was really young at the time. These facts you can bet are true because I know. Because Bahman Zohuri is my Dad.

Thanks for posting and setting the record straight! There's always an "exception to the rule"!

Dave

I served a short spell on the USS Gallant MSO-489 (Ocean Going Mine Sweeper) in 1973-74 just before she was sent to Japan, and finally to the Philippine Navy. Here is a picture of her. She was a 173' wood and brass boat. Captain Albert

post-8200-0-84347300-1384409672.jpg

post-8200-0-99562400-1384409699.jpg

post-8200-0-43895900-1384409738.jpg

Thanks for sharing this information as I was not aware of the type of ship (USS Gallant) nor that it had been decommissioned and sold or given to another Navy.

I also grabbed his map case containing all sorts of maps, charts, cheat sheets on how one calls in Naval gunfire.

Never saw these posts before, cool set! I would venture to guess that the map case is marked 1/14 for 1st Battalion 14th Marine Regiment, a Marine Corps Reserve / 4th Marine Divison artillery unit.

Never saw these posts before, cool set! I would venture to guess that the map case is marked 1/14 for 1st Battalion 14th Marine Regiment, a Marine Corps Reserve / 4th Marine Divison artillery unit.

I wasn't aware of that. I've always wondered if the stuff inside of this case was classified but since they allowed the owner to keep it upon retirement I'm assuming it is not.

• 1 month later...

Not to be/sound defensive but I just read this and thought I would help set the record straight. He did NOT do the 5 years and quit deal as you mention or anywhere near a "dead-end job". Actually instead Lieutenant as mentioned by others, he did 28 years of service and ranked up to Commander (CDR). As well as you mentioned, how one would have the books on "Directed Energy Weapons" and carry this career in the Navy at the same time, and this is because upon him being in the military, he was also a Defense Contractor for the United States Government. He did retire in the early 2000's sometime I dont exactly remember when because I was really young at the time. These facts you can bet are true because I know. Because Bahman Zohuri is my Dad.

Not to be/sound defensive but I just read this and thought I would help set the record straight. He did NOT do the 5 years and quit deal as you mention or anywhere near a "dead-end job". Actually instead Lieutenant as mentioned by others, he did 28 years of service and ranked up to Commander (CDR) and "Engineering Duty Officer" (EDO). As well as you mentioned, how one would have the books on "Directed Energy Weapons" and carry this career in the Navy at the same time, and this is because upon him being in the military, he was also a Defense Contractor for the United States Government. He did retire in the early 2000's sometime I dont exactly remember when because I was really young at the time. These facts you can bet are true because I know. Because Bahman Zohuri is my Dad.

I would like to thank Tonomachi for allowing these items of my dad to come back into my ownership as his son. I will proudly display these in my home. Also I wanted to correct myself on the LCDR, he was actually a CDR and EDO commissioned by Reagan. I would also like to reach out to any of you, if you come across any other items with our last name "Zohuri" please contact me at [email protected] asap, for I would like to keep together all my dads military stuff, my family is primarily looking for the document delivered from President Reagan to my dad for his involvement in the Iranian Hostage Crisis.

Thank you all and mostly thanks to Tonomachi.

-Sasha

• 4 years later...