jayhawkhenry finds

jayhawkhenry

jayhawkhenry

Hi guys & gals,

Here what I picked up yesterday while traveling about the Tulsa, OK area. After finding this stuff I just headed home. I have lots of uniforms but not that patch & arc. The photo is colorized of a 1st Armor Warrant officer. I always look for trench art items because of the personal touch they add.

Regards,

Henry

post-2722-1205636815.jpg

They are very nice finds.

Can I please see a close up of the pic? It looks very interesting. Anything written on the back of it?

jayhawkhenry
They are very nice finds.

Can I please see a close up of the pic? It looks very interesting. Anything written on the back of it?

Here is a closer photo for you. The arrow points to the Warrant officer insignia on his cap. He is wearing the standard issue shirt and tanker's jacket. The photo is marked for a Tulsa, Oklahoma photo shop and dated 1944. There is nothing written on the back.

post-2722-1205674121.jpg

jayhawkhenry

Here are a few odd & ends. A black enamel canteen with cup both dated 1942. An unused toilet apron to hold a soldiers personal hygiene items. A Navy shoulder board and some Army Aviation brass. I thought the U.S. disk was from the 30's but after a careful look, it appears some one stripped the paint off of it when the post was soldered back on. The silver prop, appears to have been over laid on the top of the disk.

The last items are screw in posts to put up barbed wire entanglements to defend trenches.

post-2722-1206222941.jpg

post-2722-1206222957.jpg

I am very interested in what you all think of the air corps brass.

regards,

Henry

Henry,

The Air Corps disk looks like an original, US made WWI enlisted disk.

I think you found some good stuff!

Allan

You comments and observations are always welcome

i saw some of these about a week ago on the history channel, said the germans made them then the british copied them, becasue they were silent to deploy, where as the old way was to hammer in wooden steaks at night, and get shot at while doing it casue of the noise your making, some on history channel were from a ww1 trench.

jayhawkhenry
The shoulder board appears to be a Dental Lieutenant

RON

Thanks Ron. I know very little about Navy ranks & rates. I think it is WWII era but I may be wrong.

jayhawkhenry
i saw some of these about a week ago on the history channel, said the germans made them then the british copied them, becasue they were silent to deploy, where as the old way was to hammer in wooden steaks at night, and get shot at while doing it casue of the noise your making, some on history channel were from a ww1 trench.

I am think they are a great item, I picked up these two, the shop had a dozen more. After the war these things were sold as surplus to the farmers. I found this photo taken in France of item removed from fields.

post-2722-1206272214.jpeg

I've never seen those, interestingly, they look identical to the screw in the ground type of dog tie down sold today. I know the one I had kept my 135 lb Rottweiler in the yard with no problem.

Learn something new every day around here, that's for sure!

Out of curiousity, how much was the shop asking? I might want to grab one or two of those myself.

militariacollector

Nice finds. In regards to the picture of the barb wire posts, you can still find farmers using them today. I remember watching a Remembrance Day special about some WWI battlefields and they showed some footage of fences of these posts.

....as to the grey Dental Corps insignia, about 1942? the Navy got their combatants out of white and required officers to buy the grey uniforms as a feeble attempt to look less conspicious and to ease laundering problems. This particular uniform was worn with black buttons of Navy pattern.

The uniform itself was cotton and washable.

Dr B

:rolleyes:

The correct nomenclature would be "Army Air Service", as the United States did not have an "Air Corps" until 1926, well after the Armistice. The later model discs, including the transitional collar discs from between the wars, can rightfully be called "Air Corps" collar discs/brass, while the former model is more properly referred to as "Air Service".

It should also be noted that the Air Service collar disc that bears the silver prop is usually referred to as the "1st Pattern" Air Service Disc - a somewhat more difficult version to find.

On a side note - the barbed wire is referred to as "pig tail" wire...classic!

Great stuff!

Patriot

Henry,

The Air Corps disk looks like an original, US made WWI enlisted disk.

I think you found some good stuff!

Allan

jayhawkhenry

Thanks for all of the comments and information. It is nice to know about the Air Service disc. It is a welcome addition to my WWI era insignia.

Jason the shop wanted $8.50 each for the Pig Tails or cork screw fence posts.

Cheers,

Henry

• 1 month later...
jayhawkhenry

I went out this past weekend to a semi annual flea market here in Kansas and found a few good deals. The whole mess was cheaper than I expected. There were not many people out and the dealers wanted to sell. So for less than dinner for 4, this is what I picked up. As always, I welcome your comments and assessments.

Regards,

Henry

post-2722-1210207470.jpg

jayhawkhenry

some close ups: Bandages dated from the 70's & 80's WWI victory medals and assorted (1 Soviet badge)

post-2722-1210207664.jpg

post-2722-1210207681.jpg

jayhawkhenry

More photos: A nice Vietnam Era helmet with cover & band. Two packs of smokes from C rations, A pair of unissued desert boots and hat , Some nice caps, USMC (60's I think) Army (40's) and a USAF honor guard cap (I think)

post-2722-1210207924.jpg

post-2722-1210207936.jpg

post-2722-1210207998.jpg

jayhawkhenry

A nice WWII uniform with pants, belt, garrison belt and assorted caps and a Cavalry Rosette

post-2722-1210208171.jpg

post-2722-1210208218.jpg

post-2722-1210208234.jpg

jayhawkhenry

I always check the pockets of uniforms and this is what I found. From Jefferson barracks Missouri.

post-2722-1210208407.jpg

post-2722-1210208707.jpg

jayhawkhenry

I think this is the end! A 1942 dated sleeping bag roll cover. It has a couple of QM dept repairs but in good shape over all. It was a cool, sunny day. just right for a nice walk in the flea market.

post-2722-1210208560.jpg