Sunlight warning

GITom1944

Most collectors are probably aware of the effects of sunlight but I thought this photo provides a good visual depiction of what prolonged exposure can do. This is not a collectible - just my old 80's issue Army raincoat. I had it hanging for several years in a closet with a window . Half the sleeve faced the window, half faced away. The half exposed to direct sunlight is on the left. The distinct fading is just a good reminder of what can happen over time, and why it is important to store and display the good stuff away from the sun.

post-2064-0-94369100-1364217135.jpg

Fixbayonets!

I know this item is not military but it demonstrates the danger of sunlight very well. This is a Yankees signed team ball, my Dad had it personally autograhed and gave to me. As a kid I had the good sense not to play with the ball but instead I kept it on the windowsill. Yeah, that's Mickey Mantle's signature you can't see.

Rob

All my pieces stay in the dark (curtains closed or hanging in the closet) for this reason.

More than once I've heard people say "It's just inside" not understanding just how powerful the sun is as you have said.

Years ago I had a complete Army offiecer's four pocket jacket with all of the insginia, ribbons, etc. The problem was that it had been in the front display window of a storefront for a couple of years. The front was faded, while the back looked almost pristine with the original color. It was very bizarre, but it convinced me for ever more that uniforms should be kept out of the sun.

Some patches, especially felt ones, also do not hold up well in continuous sunlight. If you have a wall display, you may want to check it at different times of the day to see if it is getting hit by direct sunlight.

Documents, photos, paintings, prints, posters... all can fade in the sun.

UV acrylic does a wonderful job at protecting your stuff in frames. The framer I use has a demo piece of a print that is framed half glass and half UV acrylic. He left it in a window for a few months, it is like looking at it night and day the fading is so noticable.

I took a museum curation class in college and the two biggest dangers to antiques are sunlight and bugs.

Thanks for the heads up on uv coatings-TRR

Paul

UV coatings do cut down the fading, but they are not 100% I think about 90% or so? . So still be careful. My main collection room actually has no windows at all. The last tests I saw indicated that fluorescent lighting was worse than incandescent, but in theory you should only have the light on while you are actually looking at it. I'd say the third worse thing is humidly

Corpsmancollector

A good posting and something very worthwhile to take note of! I have recently acquired a room to display my collection and have the curtains closed at all times. Even in bright daylight. I also store my uniforms away from the window.

I have one light in the centre of the room...'Normal' bulb as far as I'm aware. Any suggestions as to what works best to limit fading and damaging uniforms etc.?

Thanks,

Will

• 4 weeks later...

A good posting and something very worthwhile to take note of! I have recently acquired a room to display my collection and have the curtains closed at all times. Even in bright daylight. I also store my uniforms away from the window.

I have one light in the centre of the room...'Normal' bulb as far as I'm aware. Any suggestions as to what works best to limit fading and damaging uniforms etc.?

Thanks,

Will

would like to know this too...

what about halogen?

From what I understand, incandescent lights and xenon lighting will not damage cloth. Fluorescent and halogen lights do give off harmful rays as far as cloth goes.

If someone has a different answer, please chime in.

Darn... may have to change the fixture in my display room. (It's currently halogen)

I put a CFL in my display case.. maybe I should change it back?

I changed to a CFL in fear of too much heat in the case from an incandescent bulb.

Suggestions appreciated.