Blanks from the Sea

during my combing of the beach today on base for shark teeth, I stumbled upon these two 5.56mm blank cartridges, both fired. Now I'm trying to figure out how they got lost at sea, because I know if I was that far out on an amphibious assault, I'd be swimming, not shooting. One on the left is obviously older, lighter tone from age, rusted out in one spot, bottom has NO Lake City marks, instead just some dots. Does anyone know when LC went into effect? Anyone know what era? Probably around the time the M-16 came in service, perhaps? The second round is L C marked, looks like either 63 or 83, my personal belief being 83. Sorry for the poor pics, I'll try to get some better primer pics tomorrow. Value? Less than the cost of brass. Appeal? Washed up at the Marine Corps...awesome

Shells.jpg

Primers.jpg

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Does anyone know when LC went into effect? Anyone know what era? Probably around the time the M-16 came in service, perhaps?

Hi Brig:

The Lake City Ammunition Plant, located in Independence, MO., was opened in 1941 and was operated by Remington for the Government in WW2. It is now known as Lake City Army Ammunition Plant (LCAAP). It is currently operated by Alliant Techsystems making a variety of small arms ammunition for the military.

I can't make much out of the photos but given the date of introduction of the M16 rifle, I think the chances of the ammo being dated 1983 or '93 are much higher than 1963.

HTH.

Charlie Flick

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

more primer pics, as promised

Primers3.jpg

Primers2.jpg

Primers4.jpg

Primers5.jpg

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

• 2 weeks later...

here's a nice gem i found on the beach today. Spent casing, LC 42 or 43, I think 43. What caliber is this?

43Shell.jpg

43Primer.jpg

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

thanks...big cartridge here

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

These are pretty interesting! How did a WWII shell wash up on a beach???

Andrew

Camp Lejeune was formed prior to WWII while the Marine Corps was transitioning to the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and training heacily in amphibious landing warfare. The base was built here because it is connected to Onslow Beach, where troops could train in amphibious landings, from the 1930s, all the way until currently. I saw such training being conducted the day I found the two blank cartridges, actually. This is just a shell that was fired during training sometime between WWII and whenever the 42/43 stocks of ammunition were depleted.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Camp Lejeune was formed prior to WWII while the Marine Corps was transitioning to the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) and training heacily in amphibious landing warfare. The base was built here because it is connected to Onslow Beach, where troops could train in amphibious landings, from the 1930s, all the way until currently. I saw such training being conducted the day I found the two blank cartridges, actually. This is just a shell that was fired during training sometime between WWII and whenever the 42/43 stocks of ammunition were depleted.

Just a little note on the late use of WWII ammunition. In 1986, while attending the Officer's Basic course at Fort Benning, we were on the .50 cal range. The range NCOs brought out crate upon crate of 1944 and 1945 dated .50 cal ammo and told us to shoot it up. Normally we would get a short belt for orientation, but I bet I got to shoot up close to 200 rounds myself and so did many of the other students. I should have grabbed some of those empty, WWII dated crates!

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Cool!

Andrew

• 9 months later...

here are some more I finally got around to taking pics of. These were all found the day after Hurricane Hannah passed through Onslow Beach. The first few...what were they for? The one whose date I can make out is 1962. The next couple of remains I cannot makeout dates. The 5.56mm blanks are dated from 1977-1998

More_Blanks.JPG

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

here are some more I finally got around to taking pics of. These were all found the day after Hurricane Hannah passed through Onslow Beach. The first few...what were they for? The one whose date I can make out is 1962. The next couple of remains I cannot makeout dates. The 5.56mm blanks are dated from 1977-1998

The first ones are Cartridge, 7.62mm, Blank, M82. Used by M60, M219 and M240 machine guns, and the M14 rifle. For use during training when simulated live fire is desired.

762mmblank.jpg

Gary Cunningham - Bayonetman

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Please click here to read the tributes to Gary:

When in doubt blame the cost guard. All of the ctg.s recovered are used in some belt fed Machine guns. the 30.06 in the Bar, and 1919, the 7.62 in the m-60 and m-240. the 5.56 looks like they were fired from a m249 saw. the drag mark on the primer is the telltale of being fed to a machine gun.

Still, neat thing to find on the beach...

Dirteater101

Head Gun junkie

Old Trooper Gunsmiths

"Support your local gunsmith; Shoot something till it breaks!"

Just a little note on the late use of WWII ammunition. In 1986, while attending the Officer's Basic course at Fort Benning, we were on the .50 cal range. The range NCOs brought out crate upon crate of 1944 and 1945 dated .50 cal ammo and told us to shoot it up. Normally we would get a short belt for orientation, but I bet I got to shoot up close to 200 rounds myself and so did many of the other students. I should have grabbed some of those empty, WWII dated crates!

Recently read an article about WWII ammo being used in Iraq, and it was 50 cal. Lots of it still around. A batch was tested and then the lot No. could be used in combat. Explains the large number of cans appearing on the market just now.

Pretty need thread. I love seeing relics people have found. When I was a kid we found a fired .50cal bullet on the WA coast. A couple of years ago on the OR coast I picked up some Indian War era 45-70 shells. And here locally I've picked up fired Stokes mortar rounds, which seem to be all over the place.

Recently read an article about WWII ammo being used in Iraq, and it was 50 cal. Lots of it still around. A batch was tested and then the lot No. could be used in combat. Explains the large number of cans appearing on the market just now.

A friend of mine was in the army from 1991-1998. He is now a travel clerk at an army base (I'll leave it unnamed for his sake). Anyway, he recently had put together travel papers for two people who had to fly to England to check a batch of .50 cal machine guns recently found in a warehouse. They were all ww2 dated and stored since the war. They had to inspect them and test them to see if they were still ok to be issued.

Now is that something or what?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I was in Mosul in 2006. Was being the good armory Sgt. and cleaning the in place m2hb's. The vehicle weapons were a few sacos, but some of the odd ones were up on the roof. A westing house and an ac delco spark plug manufacture weapons. the westinghouse still had the brown plastic grips! This complemented the frigideare gun in the armory well. This once again proves that the .50 heavy barrel was John Brownings masterpiece! Those manufactures stopped making armaments in 1945 and their products are still in active service. Rebuilt a few times, but still there.

once again proving you can't keep a good gun down.

Dirteater101

Head Gun junkie

Old Trooper Gunsmiths

"Support your local gunsmith; Shoot something till it breaks!"

I was in Mosul in 2006. Was being the good armory Sgt. and cleaning the in place m2hb's. The vehicle weapons were a few sacos, but some of the odd ones were up on the roof. A westing house and an ac delco spark plug manufacture weapons. the westinghouse still had the brown plastic grips! This complemented the frigideare gun in the armory well. This once again proves that the .50 heavy barrel was John Brownings masterpiece! Those manufactures stopped making armaments in 1945 and their products are still in active service. Rebuilt a few times, but still there.

once again proving you can't keep a good gun down.

Supporting Dirteater's experience, when I was in Korea in the late 90s we had a 1944 dated tripod for the M2 in my battery, and a 50 with the long cooling grooves (in lieu of the round holes) in the jacket surrounding where the barrel screws into the receiver. Wish I could remember either manufacturer, but I'll bet the s/n is at home, in copies of my property book (if I can find it...)

HTH,

Thrasher

I remember:

Chris Ingrassia (9/11) CPT Tristan Aitken (OIF, 2003)

MAJ Paul Syverson (OIF, 2004) CPT Tom Miller (OIF, 2005)

SSG Scottie Bright (OIF, 2005) CPT Chris Petty (OIF, 2006)

MAJ Hurley Shields (OIF, 2008)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2020.gif

A friend of mine was in the army from 1991-1998. He is now a travel clerk at an army base (I'll leave it unnamed for his sake). Anyway, he recently had put together travel papers for two people who had to fly to England to check a batch of .50 cal machine guns recently found in a warehouse. They were all ww2 dated and stored since the war. They had to inspect them and test them to see if they were still ok to be issued.

Now is that something or what?

A few years ago, a pal of mine with the British Army Air Corps, was on a visit to RAF Mildenhall, to meet his counterparts, and have a bit of a look around the Jolly Green Giants based there. He said that most of the 50cals on the choppers there, were wartime dated.

So if they are still using and storing wartime manufactured arms, why not the ammo? Just makes you wonder, how many conflicts there been since the end of WW2, and how much .50cal ammo has been fired, and yet we still seem to have piles of wartime dated ammo available today as well as more recent made ammo. :blink:

donation2009.gif

the .50 on my post in Diyala was dated 1943, rebuilt 1969. thing has more kills on it than any veteran in Iraq, probably. felt awesome manning that piece of history

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

RIP
Sgt John P Huling
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.