USMC Mounted Group Opinions Please

usmedalman

I bought this USMC officer group years ago hoping to research it. The USMC China Service is numbered, 943 (which I know is not traceable) but there were a number of clues with the group that I hope would not make it impossible to trace, but I have never had the opportunity to really dig in and research it. My collecting interests are taking a different direction now, but before I put the group up for sale I was wondering what other members on this Forum think of the group. Can we speculate on if the LoM is WW2 or Korea, etc. I look forward to hearing opinions. Thanks

post-3347-0-31402500-1364137854.jpg

I would say too common a medal combo to trace. Very strange there is a UN Korea Medal, but no National Defense or US Korean Service Medal. I don't think it's a put-together, as what profit-seeking put-together artist would use a $500 #'d China Service rather than a $15 un-numbered lug suspension China Service to "create" a group?

Wharfmaster

Because your Marine was in the service prior to Dec.7, the single battle star on the A-P was probably for Guadalcanal. Many of those men did not see another battle in WW2.

Regards,

W

Nice bar. I can tell the LOM is a Navy contract medal too. It could be for WWII or Korea. I dont think you will be able to trace this however. Not enough clues and thousands of officers records to dig through. If somehow records turn up on the Marine China, you could get lucky. Adam Rohloff is who I would ask.

Kurt

Can we see the back?

-Ski

Here is a pic of the back. Obviously hand done by the vet, not real pretty, but cool.

post-3347-0-77897000-1364147446.jpg

aerialbridge

Here is a pic of the back. Obviously hand done by the vet, not real pretty, but cool.

post-3347-0-77897000-1364147446.jpg

Very neat group, thanks for posting. I like how he was short of ribbon for his China Service and spliced a piece in!

P.S.-- I'd second the suggestion to consider retaining Adam to try to track down your recipient if you really want to ID it.

BigJohn#3RD

usmedalman,

Great medal group but I have to agree that it is a needle in the hay stack kind of search but being an officer grouping (no good conduct medal) it does neck down the possibilities but not by very much. Did the group come from an area near you or can you get more information on where it came from Antique Store, Estate Auction, yard sale, etc? That may help as well. It is a nice representative group for a Marine Officer who was in the Corp from the 30s thru 50's.

Regards,

John

The Lom with a combat v is your best clue. This would have been awarded to a senior officer...probably an 06, either for service in WWII or Korea

Also with a star in the China ribbon would have been over in 37 and again post war....maybe with the first or sixth divisions.

So, this man was potentially a career Marine officer that would have entered service in the early 20s, and retired in between late 1950 and 1953 because there is no NDSM. He was probably a Colonel, because a General officer was likely to have received a DSM. He would have served in China before the war, then potentially as a Colonel in combat during WWII, where he was wounded. He also had post war service in China. I believe it was possible to receive the UN medal for Korea by serving in support of combat operations elsewhere, perhaps in Japan (not sure on this). First MARDIV perhaps?

According to Blakeney, there were approx 550 USMC LOM recipients in WWII. Deleting the aviators would shorten the list. refining it to to PH recipients would make it even smaller, as would the years of service.

Also, what makes this definitively a USMC group? it could be Navy

Also, what makes this definitively a USMC group? it could be Navy

The China Service medal is a Marine Corps issue per the reverse.

DakotaDave

Regarding the China Service Medal - The Marines would issue their version of the campaign medals to Navy Doctors, Dentists, Chaplains, and Corpsman assigned to Marine Units - So, this could be to a Navy Officer.

Bill

Yes, sorry...He said that in the first post and I missed it.

As a point of departure, I would look for senior Marine officers wounded on Guadalcanal. Some of the USMC division histories list PH recipients if I remember correctly.

firefighter

I too thought the U.N. Service medal without the Korean Service medal was strange.Also the STAR is un-authorized for that medal.

The ultimate award authority of the United Nations Service Medal is United Nations Commander-in-Chief of military forces in Korea.[1]

United Nations Medal for Korea

The United Nations Korea Medal is awarded to those members who were posted for any period with the United Nations (UN) forces in Korea between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954, both dates inclusive. The medal is also awarded to personnel who served in adjacent areas like Japan and Okinawa operating under UN command or sent to support UN operations in Korea in the relevant period from 1950 to 1954. Official visitors require 30 days, continuous or aggregate to qualify.

It is also possible he choose not to add the NDSM and KWSM. As for the star on the UN medal maybe its along the same lines as the stars often seen on WW2 VIC's ?

I'm inclined to agree with Kurt about the China medal, mounted medals tend to fetch a decent amount less than unmounted. I bought a WWII mounted set of Marines Medals with a Bronze Star that can attest to that, everyone wants the broach

Wharfmaster

Not unusual for Sailors and Marines to wear only one Korean service medal, rather than the usual 3. With a battle star on his UN Korea, he no doubt qualified for the US Korea and Nat. Def. too.

W

Is it possible that this Officer was captured in China at the beginning of the War and was also re-patrioted in China after the wars end? That may explain two awards for the China Service Medal, a Purple Heart, and even the LOM.

Wharfmaster

Is it possible that this Officer was captured in China at the beginning of the War and was also re-patrioted in China after the wars end? That may explain two awards for the China Service Medal, a Purple Heart, and even the LOM.

His American Defense Medal does not have a Fleet or Base Bar, so he was probably in the States when the War broke out.

W

Nice bar. I can tell the LOM is a Navy contract medal too. It could be for WWII or Korea. I dont think you will be able to trace this however. Not enough clues and thousands of officers records to dig through. If somehow records turn up on the Marine China, you could get lucky. Adam Rohloff is who I would ask.

Kurt

Sorry, I don't know of a good way to ID the recipient short of reviewing dozens of personnel files in St. Louis. It could possibly be done but would take many days or weeks of work. It's a shame that there's no known recipient roster for the China Service Medal.

teufelhunde.ret

I would say too common a medal combo to trace. Very strange there is a UN Korea Medal, but no National Defense or US Korean Service Medal. I don't think it's a put-together, as what profit-seeking put-together artist would use a $500 #'d China Service rather than a $15 un-numbered lug suspension China Service to "create" a group?

Quite agree, sadly we may never know whom this belonged to...

This group might well be researched via its LOM award. Assuming it's a WW2 LOM award, take Blakeney's list of about 550 recipients. Subtract the recipients who received multiple LOMs and/or other decorations listed there. Subtract the recipients that were deceased or MIA by 1945, and the aviators as suggested above. Subtract those who had no pre-WW2 service, and no Korean War service. You might end up with a much smaller list with which to search the Archives.

Adam & Kurt, what do you think of this approach??