Post The Patch Type Crest Being Worn

patches

• 3 weeks later...

Just acquired this 5th AF service coat from the estate of the vet. The DIs caught my eye. Found a 1943 mercury dime in the trousers pocket.

ac19a983cfaa97584a10508fc7bc4978.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, urbanminer said:

Just acquired this 5th AF service coat from the estate of the vet. The DIs caught my eye. Found a 1943 mercury dime in the trousers pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great addition, thanks for sharing.

• 5 weeks later...

Sergeant Major assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. I'm not sure when the rank insignia for Sergeant Major was approved, but notice he is wearing domed collar insignia indicating this was most likely taken in the 50's. According to this bio, he was a Master Sergeant in 1958 and promoted to the rank of Command Sergeant Major in 1959.

https://www.newstribune.com/news/local/story/2019/nov/02/career-us-army-command-sergeant-major-revealed-antique-store-find/802344/ 

PTC.101st Airborne Division.4.Sergeant Major.jpg

15 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Sergeant Major assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. I'm not sure when the rank insignia for Sergeant Major was approved, but notice he is wearing domed collar insignia indicating this was most likely taken in the 50's. According to this bio, he was a Master Sergeant in 1958 and promoted to the rank of Command Sergeant Major in 1959.

https://www.newstribune.com/news/local/story/2019/nov/02/career-us-army-command-sergeant-major-revealed-antique-store-find/802344/ 

PTC.101st Airborne Division.4.Sergeant Major.jpg

DA Message 344303, June 1958.

The domed discs could be seen a bit into the early 60s no doubt.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2014 at 5:19 PM, vostoktrading said:

General George Parker, Philippine Division, November 1941

(photo courtesy Time-Life archives. photo by Carl Mydans)

post-7885-0-97151000-1394831944.jpg

A larger view of the same image along with a different shot.

PTC.Phillipine Division.jpg

PTC.Phillipine Division.2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another high number division using divisional DIs I got recently for my infantry division focus, sold from a museum collection in Michigan. Nice pebbled 63rd ID DIs and a swing back CIB, story posted in the uniforms section

0268b5337db861a631e2cce2876cdbf0.jpeg
c73153ccbd1f813dd115b78532353c1c.jpeg
2d336f57c8764fb5cd67b7f5b0321c50.jpeg
602563e00bad017bcf3e529eba6fc580.jpeg
29a59cfae66b6f9829114b112359ebdf.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

The Sight Seeing Sixth PTC. The GI is future Posthumous Medal of Honor recipient Dan Schoonover when he was in Basic with the 6th Infantry Division Fort Ord California, probably taken in the early winter of 1953 before undergoing Engineer AIT Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, he gets over to Korea as a replacement in May 1953.

O-3.jpg.b104a3d448ab16d9bc2288bd5fe6e58c.jpg

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, Company A, 13th Engineer Combat Battalion, 7th Infantry Division

Place and date: Near Sokkogae, Korea, 8 to July 10, 1953

Entered service at: Boise, Idaho. Born: October 8, 1933, Boise, Idaho

G.O. No.: 5, January 14, 1955

Citation:

Cpl. Schoonover, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. He was in charge of an engineer demolition squad attached to an infantry company which was committed to dislodge the enemy from a vital hill. Realizing that the heavy fighting and intense enemy fire made it impossible to carry out his mission, he voluntarily employed his unit as a rifle squad and, forging up the steep barren slope, participated in the assault on hostile positions. When an artillery round exploded on the roof of an enemy bunker, he courageously ran forward and leaped into the position, killing 1 hostile infantryman and taking another prisoner. Later in the action, when friendly forces were pinned down by vicious fire from another enemy bunker, he dashed through the hail of fire, hurled grenades in the nearest aperture, then ran to the doorway and emptied his pistol, killing the remainder of the enemy. His brave action neutralized the position and enabled friendly troops to continue their advance to the crest of the hill. When the enemy counterattacked he constantly exposed himself to the heavy bombardment to direct the fire of his men and to call in an effective artillery barrage on hostile forces. Although the company was relieved early the following morning, he voluntarily remained in the area, manned a machine gun for several hours, and subsequently joined another assault on enemy emplacements. When last seen he was operating an automatic rifle with devastating effect until mortally wounded by artillery fire. Cpl. Schoonover's heroic leadership during 2 days of heavy fighting, superb personal bravery, and willing self-sacrifice inspired his comrades and saved many lives, reflecting lasting glory upon himself and upholding the honored traditions of the military service..

• 2 weeks later...

A member of the 112th Medical Battalion 37th Infantry Division in 1950 wearing an armored triangle patch type crest on his cap. It's hard to make out, but looks like the 6th Armored Division to me. He may be wearing it as a combat patch since his ribbons indicate he is a veteran of the European Theater in World War II.

PTC.6th Armored Division.112th Medical Battalion.1950.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A S/Sgt Richard McBride of the 7th Armd Div, he is wearing Armored Triangles that appear to be the unnumbered Forces ones.

olkkk.jpg

Salvage Sailor

From the Army Heritage Center Foundation website - US 7th Armored Division

Staff Sergeant Richard L. McBride  He served in the mortar squad for 2nd Platoon, A Company, of the 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion.  The 23rd saw action in the Normandy Campaign, eastern France, at the crossing of the Moselle River in Holland, the Battle of the Bulge, and the push into Germany.

I'm thinking he's wearing 23rd AIB Brass too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 1st Cavalry Division PTC,

916329798_emoticonlaugh.png.efb9cd91b83ddf85a6d4759e25070f75.png Its me actually wearing one of those Kitsch types I made mention of in another topic, bought at a gift shop at Manhattan's South Street Seaport sometime in early-sh 1992, it had a single clutch post with out a stabilizing pin and always kept spinning sideways, sometime nearly upside down 916329798_emoticonlaugh.png.efb9cd91b83ddf85a6d4759e25070f75.png

ptc0002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One more 3rd Div sighting, looks like artillery Occupation of Germany, fella is  wearing a scarf of unknown style and color, probably a Red civilian type he acquired.

Cih.PNG

On 5/19/2021 at 9:13 PM, seanmc1114 said:

Philippine Division

E3A6A813-963C-40DF-A887-3D9F6E47662C.jpeg

Those sure look like the mule head DUI's of the 99th Field Artillery to me rather than the Philippine Division's carabao head. The shield is different, too.

4 hours ago, atb said:

Those sure look like the mule head DUI's of the 99th Field Artillery to me rather than the Philippine Division's carabao head. The shield is different, too.

Right you are atb, good catch, 99th FA Bn, a 1st Cav Div unit.

99th-field-artillery-battalion-wwii.jpg

• 3 months later...

The Infantry School PTC on one Edward M. Pierce, Pierce West Point Class of 1950, serves  26 years retires a Colonel, units in Korea and Vietnam unknown, does have a Silver Star and a Purple Heart, does not show in the Korean War Casualty list, so maybe hit n Vietnam.

Photo looks croped from his wedding portait right, see the White Veil of the side, plus a smidgen of a Combat patch, maybe 2nd Inf Div???

image-asset (2).png

Here's

14 hours ago, patches said:

The Infantry School PTC on one Edward M. Pierce, Pierce West Point Class of 1950, serves  26 years retires a Colonel, units in Korea and Vietnam unknown, does have a Silver Star and a Purple Heart, does not show in the Korean War Casualty list, so maybe hit n Vietnam.

Photo looks croped from his wedding portait right, see the White Veil of the side, plus a smidgen of a Combat patch, maybe 2nd Inf Div???

image-asset (2).png

Here's another photo of him, this from 1964 at the Ft Leavenworth Command and General Staff College, maybe he was in the 82nd Airborne Division or the 8th Infantry Division's Airborne Brigade at the time he when through the school???? back then students could wear the all the insignia of the unit they just came from, can't make out the regimental number on his Infantry Branch of Service.

piearce0003.jpg

Just now, patches said:

Here's

Here's another photo of him, this from 1964 at the Ft Leavenworth Command and General Staff College, maybe he was in the 82nd Airborne Division or the 8th Infantry Division's Airborne Brigade at the time he when through the school???? back then students could wear the all the insignia of the unit they just came from, can't make out the regimental number on his Infantry Branch of Service.

piearce0003.jpg

And with his family at Leavenworth

piearce0004.jpg