My new Carbines

37thguy

Bought two new to me M1 .30 Carbines at the SOS last month and just getting around to posting them. Picked a nice Rock-Ola and an early Saginaw Gear. Both of these are all original, each needing only a small part or two to be 100%.

First up is the SG:

post-729-0-95748500-1364067562.jpg

... and the Rock-Ola. This one's original too. One of the first carbines from Rock-Ola to get the "new" Type II rear sight.

Neither of these ever seems to have gone through a re arsenal re build. Enjoy.

post-729-0-58320600-1364067765.jpg

Beautiful! I wouldn't change out a single part. If they managed to stay in that condition, those are most likely the parts that they left the factory with. Very nice scores!

I've researched a few of the parts that I thought were wrong and I'm correct. These were replaced at some point in their lives. Those parts will be replaced.

Great Looking carbines.

I hope I am wrong, but I did not think Rock-Ola's had used type 2 sights, only type 1 and 3s. I got my info from Riesch's book.

Chris

T II sights started in the 2d serial number batch just before my carbine. The original flip sights were staked at ea corner, diagonally, not with a dot, but rather a straight line, similar to a straight blade screwdriver. Mine doesnt show that, so these sights are original to this receiver. This info was taken from

Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine

Hope this helps

I trust Canfields knowledge. Hes been doing this for a long time. Gotta take ALL authors info with a grain of salt though.

What page is Rieschs' info on?

I trust Canfields knowledge. Hes been doing this for a long time. Gotta take ALL authors info with a grain of salt though.

What page is Rieschs' info on?

US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production 6th edition, revised and expanded. By Craig Riesch

page #29 table 1-1 Rear sights by type and serial number range.

Chris

Very nice carbines, particularly the Saginaw high wood B) ... very hard to find those babies here in France :(

US M1 Carbines, Wartime Production 6th edition, revised and expanded. By Craig Riesch

page #29 table 1-1 Rear sights by type and serial number range.

Chris

Notice under T II "few, if any". Mine has the "H" in the Shield as well.

ww2relichunter

Wow where did you find theese to beauties in such nice condition truly beautiful guns very nice find

Bought the Saginaw at the SOS on Friday evening and the Rock Ola on Saturday morning at the Gun Show next door. It was on someones back walking around. Seemd no one wanted it?! That was OK by me.

The h in the shield is Hemphill, a company out of Rhode Island who made lots of parts for rifles, they also were one of the suppliers for carbine bayonet pommels.

Great Looking carbines.

I hope I am wrong, but I did not think Rock-Ola's had used type 2 sights, only type 1 and 3s. I got my info from Riesch's book.

Chris

According to the listings for receiver groups for Rock-ola carbines in WARBABY, Pages 398 and 399, it lists the rear sights as type A (type 1) and Type F (Type 3). The Type F is a variation of the milled type D (which was referred to as the type 2) and had the smaller diameter fully knurled knob on a stamped sight frame. Serial number listing stated that it was begun during the second production block and continued till the end of production. No serial numbers directly listed. Sights are listed as being marked I.R.Co or H in a shield.

Hope that helps. I've heard so much about Riesch and Ruth Duff being somewhat inaccurate that I only use Ruth Duff as a cross reference and use WarBaby as my main reference.

Gotta take ALL authors info with a grain of salt though.

Exactly right. There is no one perfect source.

Oh and nice carbines. Any stock markings or have they been sanded?

Exactly right. There is no one perfect source.

Oh and nice carbines. Any stock markings or have they been sanded?

The SG is nicely marked, the Rockola has been sanded with only faint markings remaining