WW2 "Red Group" Parachute Harness Question

mr_lits

So I have this parachute harness. It still has the original tacking in the webbing, this makes the harness very small, thus I can not fit it on to any of my display mannequins. Am I being stupid to consider cutting the tacking (just the tacking) to be able to adjust harness for my displays? Would this devalue the harness or will it make it less market desirable? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Rob

post-112555-0-32224800-1364023725.jpg

AAF_Collection

Personally I wouldn't do it. Can you not get a smaller mannequin? I know that's easier said than done,but surely it's better than cutting original stitching?.

Matt.

I don't think cutting this tacking will devalue the item.

Personally I had to do it on my two harness and I don't regret it. I have small mannequins but it wouldn't have fit them without out cutting it.

Jumpin Jack

I agree with Matt. Once altered, it's never the same. I have an idea. Pass it my way, as I know I have a mannequin that it will fit. Jack

Thanks for the prompt feedback. It would have to be a pretty damn small mannequin to leave it uncut (like 5'4" or smaller), and Anchorage, AK it not prime territory for finding obscure size mannequins. Thus is the plight of living in a frozen wasteland.

Thanks Guy

Rob

RustyCanteen

Personally I wouldn't do it. Can you not get a smaller mannequin? I know that's easier said than done,but surely it's better than cutting original stitching?.

Matt.

I agree.

These things survived for too long a time to consider making any alterations.

hbtcoveralls

Also, it you cut the tacking and lengthen the harness there will be clear Ditry/clean lines where the folded material hasn't been dirtied by handling and use. It won't look right after that. I'd leave it and maybe look for a child's size form.

Tom Bowers

I'm even thinking of using a half upper display and letting the lower half just hang. You are totally right about the fold dry clean lines and would not want that. Decision made. Thanks for all those who contributed.

northcoastaero

vintageparachutes.com makes nice reproductions of WWII parachute systems with original hardware if

you need a larger harness or parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how I figure I will end up displaying the harness with an old B3 Mae West and one of my more beat up B3's. It helps that the kit is all of a smaller size.

post-112555-0-59700200-1365288793.jpg

post-112555-0-73990600-1365288826.jpg