8th AAF helmet

boyt44

I was reading the thread about the 8th AAF helmet, and I thought I'd post a photo of an authentic 8th AAF helmet-this is one of a number of photos I discovered in a metal box in my Dad's workshop after he died in 2010-I had all the negatives digitized. He mentioned before that all the aircrews were issued an M1 Carbine, and the M3 knife-he was of the opinion that there was some worry that the Germans might make a last-ditch effort to destroy the bomber offensive by dropping paratroops on the bases in England, which were essential defenseless-so everyone was issued a rifle. Well, whether this is true or not, they did have carbines. Here is a photo of some members of his crew fooling around for the camera-note the shamrocks on the helmets-I do not know the significance of this. Also, both carbines have a tag through the front sight.

He was a B17 tailgunner in the 385th BG. This photo was taken sometime around September 1944.

post-9317-0-64328000-1364007243.jpg

Thank for posting that photo. I think it we had seen a giant shamrock on a helmet for sale it would have been dismissed as a St. Patrick's Day embellishment. It's alwasy nice to see it in action.