What do you think of these WWI PFC insignia?

Dr_rambow

A pair from the tank corps. These are very clean, but match up pretty well to others I've seen. I don't know how accurate reproductions are these days, hence my hesitation. 1st pattern seems sketchy to me.

post-5589-0-57832300-1400856724.jpg

post-5589-0-86008000-1400856730.jpg

Nothing wrong with "Clean" insignia's from any period, that just means there unissued. But having said that, and while I,m not expert on these particluar types, I think the boys who are would want to see the backs to check out.

I've handled a few of each type that I felt were right, do not have much problem with the Type II but the Type I just looks off to me and can not put finger on why.

I'm with you guys, they look good but seem off somehow. Maybe it is because they are armor and we are used to seeing really poor attempts. Who knows. I don't have shots of the back, unfortunately.

Here is a pair off of Dan Griffin's site:

2081_1.jpg

2080_1.jpg

Uniforms of the Day

Patches is right on with his "newness" comment. But the backs would be really helpful. The embroidery on both trouble me a little. If you could secure pics of the backs a maybe we can provide something more definite. Both are handsome patches though.

I think I should just have a little faith in them, this isn't TR after all. If someone reproduced these, they did a damn good job. At the very least they would serve as representative placeholders.

post-5589-0-77775600-1400856762.jpg

post-5589-0-45069900-1400856770.jpg

They both look fine to me. You'd think the front view style would be the tougher to find of the two, but it's actually a very common item.

Thanks!

I've seen the "RARE EARLY PATTERN... etc etc" before when it comes to the front view, but you still see them fairly regularly. I'm guessing it was another of many situations during the war where they implemented and then changed the pattern so quickly that the stock never got used up. How long was the first pattern in use, anyway?

• 1 year later...

Greetings & Salutations! Best ro see what Lieutenant Colonel William K. Emerson has to say about chevrons, he has a new book on chevrons of the United States Army. I'd rather see what he has to say on these First World War chevrons for Private First Class (Tanks), there are two more types, one with dragons supporting the Mark VI Tank and another with a tank face on with a cannon pointed at the person looking at it. They usually used a steel cookie-cutter tool to stamp on wool chevrons and the tank could be off-center and remained unsold too! Manufacturers sold chevrons not authorized too. Again, see what LTC Emerson has to say! Respectfully yours, Herbert Booker in Florida